• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Someone is stealing my presets.

Community Beginner ,
Jun 27, 2020 Jun 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm selling LR presets on the side and was just advertised, what looks like, my own preset from another photographer. Can you somehow track if someone just took your preset and started reselling it?

For example is there a "watermark" for lack of a better term, in the .xmp file that says: created by XX on date XX?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jun 28, 2020 Jun 28, 2020

Presets are just text files you can edit in any text editor.  They have slots where you can add your copyright notice and contact info:

crs:Copyright="Copyright 2020 Elmer Fudd"
crs:ContactInfo="Elmer Fudd, 415-555-1212, ..."

Of course, a bad guy could easily edit the file and delete those fields. 

You could add some subtle tracking that a bady guy might not notice.  Change several of the settings very slightly, e.g. change:

crs:Highlights2012="-50"

to:

crs:Highlights2012="-50.00379"

This wi

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Jun 28, 2020 Jun 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Presets are just text files you can edit in any text editor.  They have slots where you can add your copyright notice and contact info:

crs:Copyright="Copyright 2020 Elmer Fudd"
crs:ContactInfo="Elmer Fudd, 415-555-1212, ..."

Of course, a bad guy could easily edit the file and delete those fields. 

You could add some subtle tracking that a bady guy might not notice.  Change several of the settings very slightly, e.g. change:

crs:Highlights2012="-50"

to:

crs:Highlights2012="-50.00379"

This will have no effect on the actual image appearance. But it would let you prove that the preset was yours, even if the copyright notice was deleted.

[Use the blue reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 29, 2020 Jun 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks John, I'll go check those variables. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines