• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Sony A7R III using A7R II profile?

Community Beginner ,
Oct 28, 2017 Oct 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The newly introduced Sony A7R III isn't supported by the standalone LR 6.13---and may never be supported. Since the new camera uses the same sensor and as the previous version, and is just a minor tweak (better viewfinder and battery, etc., rather than major imaging changes) might it be possible to have LR use the older camera profile? How would I do that, if it's possible?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 28, 2017 Oct 28, 2017

You can actually use the real profiles when this camera becomes supported in the newer versions by downloading dng converter (which you have to get anyway to get dngs that will import into LR 6.13). Then find where dng converter stores all the profiles and copy the ones for your camera over to the correct folder where Lightroom will find them (depends on your OS where that is). You will get all the camera matching profiles this way.

There is also a way to hack existing profiles to be applicable t

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can actually use the real profiles when this camera becomes supported in the newer versions by downloading dng converter (which you have to get anyway to get dngs that will import into LR 6.13). Then find where dng converter stores all the profiles and copy the ones for your camera over to the correct folder where Lightroom will find them (depends on your OS where that is). You will get all the camera matching profiles this way.

There is also a way to hack existing profiles to be applicable to other cameras. You do this in dng profile editor (a free download from adobe labs) by loading a dng from your camera and then loading in the profile from another camera (any camera even from other camera makers) and saving the result out as a new profile.This way you can get a Canon look on a Nikon camera for example.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your helpful reply!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 22, 2017 Nov 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have upgraded it from the 5 very recently because I though it was supporting the new camera but my bad I had not verified it..

Any chance will be supported directly without any hack or having to deal with DNG?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes as stated above.

Once LR Classic CC is updated for that camera there will won't be a need to convert to DNG.

Actually at the preset you can't convert to DNG because for that to work the converter, ACR and LR needs to support that camera.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe has indicated that there will probably be a final update for LR 6 in December (LR 6.14?). I would think it likely that the A7R III will be supported then. It also seems likely that for subscribers there will also be at that time an update to LR Classic 7 with, at the least, the new camera and lens support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 05, 2017 Dec 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I really hope so. I bought the A7R iii without it even occurring to me that Adobe would not support. I was a little shocked when I took my first photos and couldn't load them into LR or PS. So I am keeping an eye out for the update!!! I am a subscriber.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 05, 2017 Dec 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Another way to do this is to change the camera name in the EXIF files so the files are treated by LR as if they came from an a7rII.  It worked for me but I can't guarantee it will for you.  The (quick) process is described in this video Sony A7R III RAW FILE IMPORT FIX with Lightroom - YouTube

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines