Highlighted

Sony Rx10 Mk IV Images cropped when uploaded to lightroom

New Here ,
Apr 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I upload my Rx10 Mk IV images to lightroom the appear in the library already slightly cropped.

I have no preselected automatic import edit settings.

I am working with full resolution RAW .ARW files which are 5472×3648 px.

The "Dimensions" appear listed at the above resolution in the metadata panel, but directly below to the right of "Cropped" it says the resolution is 5463x3642.

I can manually edit the images in the develop module to reclaim the lost pixels, but I do not want to have to do this each time I upload even w/ Lightrooms wonderful sync settings feature.

When I first cropped one of the afflicted images lightroom warned me w/ a pop up dialogue box claiming "The metadata for this photo has been changed by both Lightroom and another application. Should Lightroom import settings from disk or overwrite disk settings with those from the catalog?" I selected overwrite disk settings, and the image cropped to the appropriate size. I have never encountered this before. I called Sony support and they claimed there is no editing occuring in camera to the RAW files, so no metadata should be changed.

I tried opening images directly from the sd card into photoshop, and when I checked the image size sure enough the small crop was present (5463x3642 instead of 5472×3648).

Lastly, neither my Sony a6300 nor my a7rii have this issue on import.

This is my first time posting in an adobe forum and I hope I did this correctly. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Sony Rx10 Mk IV Images cropped when uploaded to lightroom

New Here ,
Apr 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I upload my Rx10 Mk IV images to lightroom the appear in the library already slightly cropped.

I have no preselected automatic import edit settings.

I am working with full resolution RAW .ARW files which are 5472×3648 px.

The "Dimensions" appear listed at the above resolution in the metadata panel, but directly below to the right of "Cropped" it says the resolution is 5463x3642.

I can manually edit the images in the develop module to reclaim the lost pixels, but I do not want to have to do this each time I upload even w/ Lightrooms wonderful sync settings feature.

When I first cropped one of the afflicted images lightroom warned me w/ a pop up dialogue box claiming "The metadata for this photo has been changed by both Lightroom and another application. Should Lightroom import settings from disk or overwrite disk settings with those from the catalog?" I selected overwrite disk settings, and the image cropped to the appropriate size. I have never encountered this before. I called Sony support and they claimed there is no editing occuring in camera to the RAW files, so no metadata should be changed.

I tried opening images directly from the sd card into photoshop, and when I checked the image size sure enough the small crop was present (5463x3642 instead of 5472×3648).

Lastly, neither my Sony a6300 nor my a7rii have this issue on import.

This is my first time posting in an adobe forum and I hope I did this correctly. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to the Develop module, go to the Develop menu item then select "Set Default Settings". In the dialog box that comes up select "Restore Adobe Default Settings".

That will remove any changes you made to what is used as a Default setting for that camera.

I suspect you cropped an image then somehow you Updated to Current Settings which auto applied a crop to your images from that camera.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the reply "Just Shoot Me".

This did not work for me. I never made any crop like the one I'm having an issue with nor did I ever change any "default settings." I followed your directions: I opened the develop module while one of the Rx10 photos was selected, I then proceeded to follow the steps you outlined for me. I then uploaded a fresh batch of images from the camera and low and behold they are already cropped by a few pixels!

Any other ideas?

Can anybody comment on this obscure issue?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just downloaded several raw images from the DPReview website for the RX10 Mk4 and all of them import with the pixel dimensions of 5472 x 3648.

So it has to be some setting on your system that is making the crop. Especially if it is happening to each and every image imported from that camera.

Please post a screen shot of the Library module right hand panel with either EXIF or EXIF and IPTC selected at the top of the Metadata section. This is what it should look like.

RX10 Crop.PNG

And with a crop applied.

RX10 Crop Applied.PNG

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The images I downloaded were created by the version 1 firmware for this camera. Could be in later firmware versions the images were cropped slightly to correct some barrel distortion or some other lens flaw.

I made a crop then saved the current settings as the default and when importing newer images there is no crop applied. So that isn't the problem.

Can you post one of your images to someplace like DropBox and make it public and place a link to it in a reply?

I'd like yo import one of your images.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for all the help so far.

Here is a google drive link to an image I just took w/ the Rx10m4 DSC00815.ARW - Google Drive

here is a screenshot of the metadata panel and of the thumbnail which shows the "has been cropped" mark in the bottom right corner. This is just after import.

Screen Shot 2018-04-12 at 1.09.58 PM.pngScreen Shot 2018-04-12 at 1.08.17 PM.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes that image has a crop set on it. Once I went into the Develop module, clicked the Crop Tool then hit the Reset option in the crop tool it went back to the original image size and lost the icon on the bottom right of the thumbnail saying it was cropped.

Two suggestions.

Reset the LR Preferences.

Rest the camera settings.

Could be something in the camera settings that is cropping the images

Import some images and check the section in the import dialog for applying a preset in the "Apply During Import" section.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey take a couple of images and Do NOT import them into LR and then upload them to your Google Drive account and post a link to them.

I want to see if this crop is coming from the camera or from LR.

Once the image is imported into LR I can't tell if it was LR or the camera.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried resetting lightroom import preferences and initializing the camera, neither solved the problem.

Some observations:

1. upon further inspection I noticed that only the images shot in "high drive mode" were cropped on import. When I switched to single shot the images imported without crop. Not sure about the other drive modes as I only tried those two.

2. The tiny crop only occurs in high drive mode and RAW shooting. it does not occur in jpg file type shooting modes.

Here is a link to a file never uploaded to lightroom DSC01345.ARW - Google Drive

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That image you posted in your last reply is Cropped on my system. If it was never imported into your copy of LR then it is the camera that is doing the cropping. Either it is a setting you have turned on or a flaw in the cameras firmware.

Make sure you have the most recent firmware.

Reset the menu system back to As Shipped From Factory settings and test. There should be an option in the menus to reset all the settings.

Cropped out of camera.PNG

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I look at that image in Bridge it is showing the ACR (LR Develop Module) icon for it being Cropped. Which shouldn't happen unless something Adobe has edited the file.

How are you getting images from the memory card used in the camera to your hard drive. Are you using some type of utility to copy them from card to hard drive?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok Please take another image with your camera. Do NOT use any Utility of any kind to Copy that new image to your hard drive. Use the File Manager for the OS you are using to Copy it from card to hard drive. Then upload that image to your Google drive folder and post a link to it.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've never used any utility to copy, and I already tried factory resetting the camera.

I'll call sony again and see if I can update firmware of if they know anything about this issue now that I understand it better.

Thanks for all the help

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Wired300 LATEST
New Here ,
Aug 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI, 

I had the same problem and found this page. 

I am using Sony A7iii and it is cropping files on Lightoom. It can be fixed with Reset button in the develop module. 

If you need to sort all the photos in the gallery, just select all and press Reset. Should work. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines