Highlighted

SOS - Merging Brush Settings

Community Beginner ,
Jan 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the record, I did use the search field to find info on this question... but cannot locate a solution. I have an image I've edited with the brush to very heavily... to the point where my computer is lagging a ton... so I duplicated the image and then deleted all the brush settings. Then I went through, edited other parts of the secondary image with the brush tool so I wouldn't have lag issues. Now I have two identical photos with different brush settings and I would like to merge them. The problem I'm having is when I merge the two edited images, they don't combine the brush settings... it will favor the original image brush settings upon merge and discard the secondary photo's brush edits. And why can't we right click on a brush and have the option to copy it's form and settings to paste them into a different image? I'm really surprised developers haven't implemented these no-brainer options. Unless they have and I'm a no-brainer who can't figure out the solution. PLEASE HELP!

TOPICS
Feature request, How to, Sync, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

SOS - Merging Brush Settings

Community Beginner ,
Jan 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the record, I did use the search field to find info on this question... but cannot locate a solution. I have an image I've edited with the brush to very heavily... to the point where my computer is lagging a ton... so I duplicated the image and then deleted all the brush settings. Then I went through, edited other parts of the secondary image with the brush tool so I wouldn't have lag issues. Now I have two identical photos with different brush settings and I would like to merge them. The problem I'm having is when I merge the two edited images, they don't combine the brush settings... it will favor the original image brush settings upon merge and discard the secondary photo's brush edits. And why can't we right click on a brush and have the option to copy it's form and settings to paste them into a different image? I'm really surprised developers haven't implemented these no-brainer options. Unless they have and I'm a no-brainer who can't figure out the solution. PLEASE HELP!

TOPICS
Feature request, How to, Sync, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jan 10, 2020 0
Mentor ,
Jan 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't see any way to "merge" processing in LR per se. What you can do is recall, sync or paste Develop settings selectively between images - or else, between an earlier and a later history state of the same image. When you do so there are options of whether or not to overwrite (replace) various different kinds of adjustment.  "Local adjustments" gives some selections but each is all-or-nothing. So, every instance of (say) Brush local adjustment present on image A will get repeated en masse onto image B, during which the Brush adjustments previously present on image B will all be removed.

You can sync only a particular kind of editing, or everything except that kind of editing, or whatever. You can do this between virtual copies, without needing to physically duplicate the Raw file (or whatever else) the starting image is derived from.

If the accumulation of local adjustments is causing LR editing performance to suffer with image A, then AFAICT image B will also suffer the same thing once these are all copied across.

One way out of that issue would be to encapsulate the result of the local adjustments into a brand new "flattened" external edit (PS) version - TIFF or PSD necessarily, no longer Raw - which when re-imported to LR would act as a clean slate so far as live parametric adjustments. 

Another way would be (assuming compatible Photoshop is available) to create a new external-edit image version using the As Smart Object option. This is not "flattened": it encapsulates the Raw / whatever source image, plus all current LR editing including cloning and local adjustments etc, into a Smart Object package within a new PS document, which can itself have additional layers and then a compatibility preview to make the result of all of this visible to e.g. Lightroom Classic. Everything remains further nondestructively editable but you do need to go into PS and open up the Smart Object in order to make any updates via ACR interface. But all that LR would then be seeing, and basing any further adjustments and outputs on, would be a latest saved PS preview - all of the complexity and corresponding performance hit due to your current editing, would in this workflow not be apparent to LR itself. Because LR only has to read a preview. That complexity would only slow down PS: so far as opening, updating and saving that working document (there is a considerable file size penalty with the Smart Object workflow, too, btw).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 10, 2020 2