Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Square image in my images after importing

Community Beginner ,
Mar 08, 2020 Mar 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,
I have a square outline in my images in Classic, this started happeing after the latest update, if I export the image it is fine but it is highly frustrating and annoying to have this in my images when I try to edit them, I don't know which is the true colour, the dark outside or the lighter inside.

I am using a new iMac on the latest Mac OSX.

You can see it in this image here where there is a lighter square area inside the image.

Note:  This happens when I edit in photoshop and then return to Lightroom, so the files are PSD, TIFF or PSB.

Can't belive this wasn't found in testing, probably because of the lack of it.

screengrab.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 08, 2020 Mar 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which exact version of Mac OS?

Which exact version of Lightroom?

Which exact version of Photoshop?

Does the image display correctly using Photoshop?

Does the PSD file display correctly using a third-party viewer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 09, 2020 Mar 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mac OS 10.15.3

Lightroom 9.2

Photoshop 21.1

Yes, in Photoshop there is no square

I don't have a 3rd Party piece of software that opens PSB's but in Mac Preview there is no Square either

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quick update, So I copied the psb to my Macbook and imported into Lightroom on that Mac, no square.

So the issue seems to be related to the iMac and the version of PS or Lr on that machine (although exactly the same as the Macbook).

Still a bug never the less.

I don't know if uninstalling and reinstalling Lr and PS on the iMac will make a difference if the Lr file metadata files are now also corrupted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"You can see it in this image here where there is a lighter square area inside the image."

I don't see it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not see it either!

Unless you are referring to the slight shading difference where my cursor sits on your image-

ScreenShot201.jpg

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that is the right-hand side of the square, not the best image to see it, but it's in all my images from Photoshop that come back to Lightroom after editing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What have you done to this image in PS?

I have seen odd rectangular shapes when a layer has a mask blurred by the Feather slider on the Properties palette. The fault was how PS was failing to save the blurring when it builds the PSD/TIF/PSB composite preview. So it looked right in PS, but not in LR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can only think that somewhere you are getting a slight vignette created.

But how, is a mystery to me! And I have never seen this elsewhere.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It happens directly on coming back to Lightroom, there is no Vignette applied in the Effects and it happens on almost all images from Photoshop when I'm done editing, its a straight edge and rectangular. It's not even possible to add a vignette in Lightroom that is a hard straight edge and rectangular.  It's so frustrating as I can't trust which colour is right, the inside or the outside of this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would test by photographing a grey card (blank image) and send it Lr>Ps>Lr to see if the problem is reproduceable and happens constantly.

If you show it is constant then it needs reporting to Adobe at-

BUG REPORTS - PHOTOSHOP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 24, 2020 Mar 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, will do, it still happens, on almost every occasion I return to Lightroom from Photoshop.

Clearly see the square hereClearly see the square here

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go into Photoshop Preferences and make sure 

Legacy Compositing is checked ON

Screen Shot 2020-03-09 at 5.08.43 PM.png

and Maximize PSD and PSB File Compatibility is set to ALWAYSScreen Shot 2020-03-09 at 5.09.06 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Iain, reading through the jumbled order of replies, it's not clear that you've tried enabling the Photoshop option Preferences > Performance > Legacy Compositing, as suggested by Bob Somrak, and then resaving the image after making a trivial change. There is a bug in PS 21.0 and 21.1 that incorrectly renders the final image as seen by LR and other apps (PS displays the image correctly):

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/reproducible-bug-in-feathered-layer-masks-pho...

[Use the reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Iain started a topic in the official feedback forum, and Adobe employees are already engaged, so others should please continue the discussion there:

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/rectangle-appears-on-images-after-editing-in-...

[Use the reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines