• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

SSD Drive holding Lightroom Files has fetching permission error - OS X - can't access images

Participant ,
Apr 10, 2021 Apr 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using the latest versions of Lightroom Classic (10.2) on an iMac running OS X Mojave 10.14.6.

My Lightroom folders are stored on an external SSD drive. When I am home, I use Lightroom on my iMac (running Mojave [necessary as I need to use a few legacy apps for work] using this SSD for storing my images. When I travel, same SSD drive is used on my MacBookPro (running latest version of Big Sur).

On my iMac: as I drill down into the external drive folder hierarchy for Lightroom, I find my subfolders for Lightroom Image Folder are locked and show a red circle with white bar. Permissions show "fetching" rather than my Administrator permissions. The drive itself has unchecked in its permission panel "ignore ownership on this volume". Also, the permissions at the top level of Lightroom are correct, i.e. I'm listed as Administrator with read & write permissions. It's only when I get to the Lightroom Image Folder that the permissions are incorrect. If I select "apply to enclosed items" for the correct permissions, nothing changes at the subfolder level. I could manually change those subfolder permissions from fetching to my adminstrator name then apply to enclosed items, but the subfolders below that level do not change after applying changes. 

The drive is formatted: Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Scheme is GUID Partition Map. Size is 1TB.

Perhaps using this SSD drive on multiple machines is causing the permission confusion. Looking for a solution here. Appreciate any help. Thank you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 10, 2021 Apr 10, 2021

>The drive itself has unchecked in its permission panel "ignore ownership on this volume".

You actually probably want to have this checked. Having it unchecked can indeed cause permission issues when switching a drive between computers if the user ID of the user you are using on the two computers is not identical. Also if you go between a very old and a newer version of Mac OS X, you might have permissions problems because of the way Apple has changed file security recently. Probably not an iss

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm curious why I cannot edit this post as I'm at the Explorer level.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does the EHD have the same name on all computers?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Different names

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hence LrC cannot find  the folder/drive

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I read your reply too fast. Computer names are different, but the EHD, which is not bootable retains its name on both computers and contains just folders. Screenshot attached of the folder hierarchy.

Screen Shot 2021-04-10 at 17.13.13.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>The drive itself has unchecked in its permission panel "ignore ownership on this volume".

You actually probably want to have this checked. Having it unchecked can indeed cause permission issues when switching a drive between computers if the user ID of the user you are using on the two computers is not identical. Also if you go between a very old and a newer version of Mac OS X, you might have permissions problems because of the way Apple has changed file security recently. Probably not an issue here but still better to avoid.

Also how have you formatted the disk? Hopefully it is a Mac format like HFS+ or APFS and not something like NTFS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks

I'll go back and check the ownership box, unmount the drive, restart the computer, then remount it. I'll let you know if that changes anything.

Re formattting: mentioned it in my initial question: 

The drive is formatted: Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Scheme is GUID Partition Map. Size is 1TB.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah I see it was right in your post! Mac OS Extended is the same as HFS+ so you're all good there.

You shouldn't have to restart for those changes to take effect. Just unmount and remount the drive. I don't know if the setting transfers between computers (pretty sure it does) but good to check if on the other machine it will then show the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 11, 2021 Apr 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your help.

I mounted the drive on the MBP with no problem with permissions. Remounted to iMac and all is good.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 11, 2021 Apr 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Awesome. Great that it works now!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines