Exit

SSD + Graphic Card

New Here ,
Jan 18, 2019 Jan 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have 3 questions:

1- Is the SSD system and software sufficient to put the catalog or is it better to have an SSD only for the catalog for better performance.

2- Is a 1050ti graphics card sufficient or better to take a 1060. (I also plan to make some simple video montages) - Do you have a brand / model to advise?

3- Is 16 GB of RAM enough or better to take 32.

Thank you

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

davido29672876  wrote

Hello,

I have 3 questions:

1- Is the SSD system and software sufficient to put the catalog or is it better to have an SSD only for the catalog for better performance.

2- Is a 1050ti graphics card sufficient or better to take a 1060. (I also plan to make some simple video montages) - Do you have a brand / model to advise?

3- Is 16 GB of RAM enough or better to take 32.

Thank you

A lot of your questions can be answered with "It depends". It depends on what you are doing.

1) Nevertheless, a lot of people benefit from Lightroom catalog and all software on the SSD. No way of knowing if Catalog alone on the SSD would be better for you. What problem are you trying to solve?

2) The 1060 is certainly a faster GPU than the 1050, but do you need that extra speed? So it depends: What problem are you trying to solve?

3) Lightroom normally is fine at 16GB and rarely needs more, but your other software (video montage software?) might benefit from 32GB. Or if you have LR and several programs open at the same time, 32GB might help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no problem, but I'm going to build a new PC and I want to optimize its operation, and buy what it takes .. unless it's unhelpful

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just ordered a new PC. Here is what I ordered, for what it is worth.

i7-8700k CPU

500GB SSD for software, operating system and LR catalog/previews

3TB hard disk for photos and all my other other stuff

GeForce 1050 ti graphics card

1920x1080 monitor

16GB memory

Windows 10 Home, 64 bit

Note: I do not play games or do video editing, so most of my hardware considerations are driven by Lightroom. OTHER SOFTWARE MAY REQUIRE DIFFERENT HARDWARE DECISIONS. Also, for Lightroom, a 4K monitor (or larger) puts heavy stress on the CPU and GPU, and local adjustments with a 4K or larger monitor are a very common cause of slowness.

Also, please see this thread: Performance Feedback Needed: i7-7700 and i7-8700 Systems , be sure to scroll down to the bottom to see the happy end result.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will take a DELL 2K screen

I intend to take this

- Intel Core i9-9900K

- Corsair Vengeance Low Profile 32GB LPX Series (4x 8GB) DDR4 3000 MHz CL15

-MSI MPG Z390 GAMING EDGE AC

- Samsung SSD 970 EVO M.2 PCIe NVMe 1 TB

- MSI GeForce GTX 1060 GAMING X 6G

- WD Red 6 TB SATA 6Gb / s

- Dell 25 "LED - UltraSharp U2518D

- Corsair Hydro Series H100x

Is not it better that the catalog is not on the same SSD as the system?

Can the CG 1060 save me time with LR and Adoe PREMIERE?

If I open also photoshop, not better 32 GB of ram?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

davido29672876  wrote

I don't know. It depends.

Can the CG 1060 save me time with LR and Adoe PREMIERE?

No for Lightroom with a 2K screen. I don't know about Adobe Premiere, I never have used it.

Probably. It depends.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

davido29672876  wrote

If you can spare the physical space for the extra hard drives, three separate drives for the OS and catalog and original images will give you the best performance. Whether or not you can actually notice the difference is a different conversation.

Photoshop and LR running at the same time might benefit from the extra memory. If you are doing any video editing, you probably want the 32 GB.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines