• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Strange Issue with Nikon Z6 Raw files and Lens Correction

Explorer ,
Jan 08, 2020 Jan 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sometimes when enabling Lens Correction, the lens option comes up with 'Built In' and sometimes 'None'.  This happens randomly for images captured in the same session using the same lens, etc.  It used to always say 'Built In' as the default, and as far as I can remember 'Lens Correction' itself was defaulted to 'Enabled' - but not now.

Ideas?

P. F. Infante

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Triple-check that you're actually editing a raw file. (An easy way to do that is type "i" to cycle through the information overlays until you see the filename.)  It's not an uncommon mistake to edit a non-raw thinking it's raw -- LR doesn't make it apparent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I only shoot in RAW (nef).  Jpg is not enabled on my camera.

P. F. Infante

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Understood. But did you triple-check by typing "i" in Develop?  It is indeed not uncommon to think you're working with a raw when you're not.  (Lot's of threads here about that over the years.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, says .nef  Again, I haven't shot jpg's in years, not even optioned on the camera.  But yes, I checked.

P. F. Infante

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suggest you attach a sample raw that shows None to this message, which will let us quickly determine if this is an issue specific to your configuration or to the photos themselves. 

To attach a photo here: After posting the reply, click More > Edit Reply at the bottom of the reply. Then click the little paperclip icon in the lower-left corner of the reply box. Then click Apply Edits. (If you insert a photo rather than attach it, the stupid forum software will reduce its resolution and hide important details.)

[Use the reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get this too with my Z6 and Z7 cameras (but it is more dependent on the lens used).  I think that the for some lenses, the lens correction is done in-camera when the image is captured, so there is nothing for LR to correct as it's already been done.  At least that's my understanding of "Built-In" profiles. 

(I think the same also applies to other cameras, like the Sony RX100.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nikon Z6, a mirrolesss camera with in lens in camera corrections. As such Lightroom reports as such and does not have any corrections to provide. Even if you turn that off in camera. Hence "Built-in Lens Profile applied" pops up.

This is mirrorless 101. No auto lens corrections

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/lens-profile-for-nikon-z-series

You might want to place a request for change over at the feedback site. Ahh, in fact you might want to add yourshef to:

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/disable-built-in-lens-profile

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But I'm getting this 'none' behavior with an F lens on the FTZ.  It use to show 'built-in" with this very lens.

P. F. Infante

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in theory for the Z lenses

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe/LR doesn't have a profile for every lens.  Some lenses just don't have profiles built-in to LR/ACR.  I have one or two where this is the case.  I've seen this more with my Z lenses though and i suspect that Adobe might actually develop some profiles for the Z lenses, although some are corrected in the camera.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue on the table is: "The lens option comes up with 'Built In' and sometimes 'None'."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again, the issue is that pfinfante1956 is getting intermittent behavior: "The lens option comes up with 'Built In' and sometimes 'None'.  This happens randomly for images captured in the same session using the same lens." [Emphasis added]

With a sample image that shows None, we can see if it shows None in other LR configurations, indicating whether the issue is a problem with one configuration or with the image itself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 09, 2020 Jan 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not letting me attach the nef file, even tried zipping it.

P. F. Infante

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 09, 2020 Jan 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"Not letting me attach the nef file, even tried zipping it."

The new forum software isn't the best, to say the least. Please upload it to Dropbox or similar and post the sharing link here. (Some people use WeTransfer, but those links are only valid for a limited time.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines