• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Suddenly having real performance issues. Mac OS Mojave

New Here ,
Jan 29, 2020 Jan 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the last few weeks, Lightroom Classic CC has become unusable on my Mac. I know it's getting old (mid 2015 2.8GHz i7), but this is sudden so not related to simple age.

I imported 500 Fuji RAW images last night, building Smart Previews as it went so I can store offline and it took half an hour!

It's using 700% CPU and while it's working, the cursor stutters unbearably making the Mac unusable whilst LR is doing anything

Particularly multiple edits synchronising, importing etc.

I also have an issue whereby I can no longer swipe Safari to go back while Lightroom is running. Close Lightroom and immediately Safari swiping works again. The swipe begins but just doesn't seem to be able to 'reach' far enough to complete the swipe if that makes sense?

The only big change I've made recently is to install a Wacom Intuos Pro. Drivers are up-to-date.

Mojave and CC are also both up-to-date and I tried reverting to CC 9.0 but the fault remained.

Photoshop seems fine and it's speed is the same as it's always been.

Any ideas please?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

We are sorry about the experience due the performance issues with Lightroom Classic.

Would you mind checking the below mentioned details and performing the steps to check if it helps?

1. Go to Preferences > Performance and increase the Camera Raw Cache size to 10.0GB or more.
  2. On the same tab, check the option to Use Smart Previews instead of Original for image editing and uncheck the option to Generate Previews in Parallel.
  3. On the Performance tab itself, select off from the drop down for Use Graphic Processor
  4. Go to the General tab and check the box to Replace Embedded previews by standard previews during idle time.

Once you have made the above-mentioned changes, quit and relaunch Lightroom Classic prior to testing the application.

You can also try to reset the preferences of Lightroom Classic using the steps mentioned here: https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/setting-preferences-lightroom.html

Note: Please backup your presets, plug-ins etc. before resetting the preferences.

Regards,

Nikunj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks very much for replying.

I've set everything up as suggested and will report back. I'd already set Camera Raw Cache to 20GB and had tentatively tried switching off the GPU but with the other settings, I'll see if that helps.

Haven't reset Prefs yet but will try the rest first.

Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What exact Fuji camera?

Using a lot of CPU during import is not unusual. There have been changes to LR over the years to use more and more of the CPU during import and export, so cursor stuttering and similar issues during import and export are also not unusual.

Have you tried a similar import with the Wacom unplugged from the computer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thanks for replying.

It's the X-T3. Compressed RAF files. Had it for a year and the issue only really started in the last month or so

Yes I removed all Wacom software actually as it's a BT model and that didn't help so I'm now looking at Lightroom alone.

Will post if anything changes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Half an hour for 500 RAF files? Normal.

You can speed that up a bit by not creating any profiles, and of course not applying any presets (not stated), 

You can also speed up getting those photos into your computer by copying (copy not move, never directly move, hazardous) to your hard drive, then in Lightroom import via ADD.

This will of course force you to create the previews later, but you can remove that SD card earlier.

https://www.creative-photographer.com/how-to-save-time-importing-photos-into-lightroom/

https://improvephotography.com/51701/import-photos-lightroom-faster/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I'll have a go at adding them from the HD and see if that helps. No presets being applied.

Much appreciated

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the cursor stutters unbearably making the Mac unusable whilst LR is doing anything

Now that is a problem that should not be happening.

Some possibilities

1. If you have use GPU turned on, try with that turned off. Issue with GPU vs LRC? If you are not using a 4K display, it is not of much use, could hurt.

2. Any plug-ins that might be buggy? Most often suspect is LogiOptions. 

3. Yes, that WACOM, is something messing with it? 

4. Bad mouse?  https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic/cursor-jumps-after-update-to-lightroom-classic-8-3-...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your suggestions:

1. I've now switched off GPU to see if that helps.
  2. No new plug-ins. Only one is the Plug-in that allows you to post to Zenfolio so I will disable that and see what happens
  3. Wacom is off a lot of the time and today I unstalled it. No joy unfortunately so must be simply LR
  4. No mouse. I use the trackpad

Will update if I find some sort of solution/improvement.

Thanks again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines