Highlighted

Switching between LR v 6 and Classic

New Here ,
Nov 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am finally considering biting the bullet and upgrading to LR Classib from LR v 6.

What happens to all the photos I have edited in LR 6? Must they be converted etc.

What happens if I choose to abandon Classic? Can I return to LR v6? Can I access and edit photos that I used Classic to to edit in LR v6?

Bill

Topics

FAQ, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Switching between LR v 6 and Classic

New Here ,
Nov 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am finally considering biting the bullet and upgrading to LR Classib from LR v 6.

What happens to all the photos I have edited in LR 6? Must they be converted etc.

What happens if I choose to abandon Classic? Can I return to LR v6? Can I access and edit photos that I used Classic to to edit in LR v6?

Bill

Topics

FAQ, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you first start Lightroom Classic, it will identify the catalog that you have been using with Lightroom 6. Lightroom Classic will prompt you to upgrade that catalog, which you will want to do. That process will create a new copy of the catalog, and all of the work that you have done will be included in that new catalog. The old catalog will still be on the computer and will still be accessible by Lightroom 6 if you still have it installed. Lightroom Classic will NOT be able to access the old catalog because it will not be compatible with the new version. Remember that your images are not in the catalog. Your images are in folders on your computer. The catalog is simply a database that keeps track of where the images are located as well as all the work you have performed in Lightroom. After you have successfully upgraded the catalog there will be no need for you to retain Lightroom 6 or the old catalog Lightroom 6 was using. If you have multiple catalogs then it will be necessary to go through the upgrade process with all of those catalogs. New upgraded catalogs will have the same name as the old version, but with a -2 appended to the name. You are free to change the name to what ever you want the name to be, however.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing will happen to your photos.

But your catalog (a copy of it) will be upgraded, and catalogs are not backwards compatible, so you cannot open an LR Classic catalog in LR 6.

If you want to go back to LR 6, you can save metadata to files in LR Classic, which will save your edits, but edits that are unique to Classic will not be visible in LR 6.  As for other metadata, some will be saved, but some will not.

My advice is to stay with Classic, it has a lot more features than LR 6.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines