• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Sync between LR mobile on iPad and LR Classic on Macbook

Explorer ,
Mar 19, 2020 Mar 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have seen the articles on this, and think I am doing it right, but it is going VERY slow.

I use LR Classic on my Macbook Air to process photos.  My wife just got a new iPad Pro and she is using LR mobile on it.

I have one CC account.

What I want to do: after she processes photos using LR on the iPad (she creates a discrete album for each session), sync that album to my Macbook.  From there I will add a custom Photologo watermark and export her photos to the Macbook hard drive (I know how to do tho not need help with it).  I also want to save the RAW and sidecar files she creates on my hard drive (I also know how to do this, but wish they would just go into the same file that LR Classic creates for a shooting date on import).

I saw a note in one of the community articles that advises not to run sync on both devices at the same time.

Questions:

1. What do I select on LR mobile to make this happen?
  2. If the answer is to #1 is to sync to the cloud on LR mobile, do I have to wait for that to finish before I sync the photos into LR classic?
  3. Is there anything I can do about the RAW and sidecar (.xmp) files to get them to go directly into the applicable LR Classic-generated folder?
  4. Once all of this is done, how do I delete files on the cloud to free up space?  I only have the $9.99 plan and a single day's shooting ate up more than 5% of the storage

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 20, 2020 Mar 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So basically the process will be limited to the upload speed you have on your internet access the original files first have to be uploaded to the Adobe Creative Cloud storage and then downloaded back to your MacBook to Lightroom Classic.

The better course of action would be to work with the original files on your MacBook, create the collections and sync the Collections to the Adobe Creative Cloud, this process will sync "Smart Previews" which are substantially smaller than the original files. The smart previews do not utilize your Creative Cloud allocated storage. The other alternative is to subscribe to additional storage, the cost is $10 per TB.

See the article available at the link for more info.

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/lightroom-cc-vs-classic-features/ 

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the answer.  However, because my wife and I both shoot a large number of photos, the preferred solution would not solve the problem of me having to do all the processing on my Macbook, or for me and my wife to take turns processing on it.

Given that, your preferred solution would certainly get the RAW files where they need to be successfully.

Can my wife download the smart previews from the creative cloud and work with them on the iPad in LR CC?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You would have to consider the following and see how you both can work with the restrictions.

Your Adobe Creative Cloud a/c is designed as a single user application.

Lightroom Classic can only have Collections from one (1) Catalog synced at any point in time.

Multiple mobile devices can be logged into your Adobe a/c and every change applied on a connected mobile device will be synced back to the files in the source Catalog and any change made in the Classic app will be synced.

If you are both accessing at the same time could cause issues.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

OK, thank you very much, I think I have a way ahead.

Download all RAW files to LR Classic so they are stored on my hard drive.  Save them to a collection and sync that collection to the CC, so they are saved as previews.  At her convenience, my wife syncs these to her iPad, proceeses them in LR.  When done, we sync the finished photos back to LR Classic and I will export them to my Macbook hard drive with the Photologo watermark.

Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines