Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Sync Changes from Smartobect in Photoshop

New Here ,
Sep 07, 2020 Sep 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi tere,

after a few hours of trial and error i'm confused.

is it possible to stack lightroom objects as smartobjects in photoshop

and edits in photoshop will be synced back to every single layered

lightroom item?

bis dann, marco.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 07, 2020 Sep 07, 2020

There is a way, but, yes, it can be confusing!

You cannot (from Lr-Classic) open multiple photos as Smart Objects in one Ps layered file. (so do not try!)

You can however achieve it all in Ps-

1) In Ps open a new document (that is the same pixel dimensions as your camera files- not sure about this 'size' requirement!!)

2) Go MENU: File > Place Linked

3) Select a photo you want to add as a Smart Object layer from the Finder/File Explorer window,

4) Repeat steps 2) & 3) to add more photos to add

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a way, but, yes, it can be confusing!

You cannot (from Lr-Classic) open multiple photos as Smart Objects in one Ps layered file. (so do not try!)

You can however achieve it all in Ps-

1) In Ps open a new document (that is the same pixel dimensions as your camera files- not sure about this 'size' requirement!!)

2) Go MENU: File > Place Linked

3) Select a photo you want to add as a Smart Object layer from the Finder/File Explorer window,

4) Repeat steps 2) & 3) to add more photos to added layers

Now you can-

[Double-click] the Smart Object layers to adjust them with Camera Raw.

In Lr-Classic you can [Read Metadata from files]  and the adjustments made in Ps/ACR will be applied in Lightroom.

If you Develop a photo in LrC and [Save metadata to file], then the adjustments appear back in the Ps/ACR re-edit .

Note: The metadata exchange does not seem to work from a SO (background) layer opened from Lightroom, so my suggestion in 1) to start from a blank Background layer (a blank camera file opened from Lightroom!).

Have fun experimenting !

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I frequently use the same techinque outlined by WobertC. What makes it all work is the Place Linked command, because a Linked Smart Object makes it the two-way connection possible, combined with knowing which commands pass XMP metadata between Lightroom Classic and Camera Raw.

To bypass dialog boxes I use the shortcut for Place Linked, which is to Option-drag-and-drop a raw file into an existing Photoshop document. (In other words, drag-and-drop is Place Embedded, adding the Option or Alt key is Place Linked.) You can even drag that raw file directly from the Lightroom Classic grid, but the edits will appear in Photoshop only if you remembered to Save Metadata To File before dragging.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

hi wobertc and conrad_c,

thanks for this quick reply. it seems i have a date tonight 😉

bis dann, marco.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines