• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Sync from Mobile to Lightroom Classic (does the original remains in the cloud or not)

Community Beginner ,
Jan 12, 2021 Jan 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Hope you will be able to highlight me.

I'm using Lightroom Classic (the CC version that stores original on the computer) and Lightroom Mobile.

Everything works well. My desktop files are synced to cloud (smart previews) and my mobile pics are sync back to desktop. Fine.

I'm just wondering :

A file (picture taken from mobile) which is synced to computer : the original file is well stored on the computer. But does it also remains on the cloud or is it automatically replaced by a smart preview afterwards?

If yes (phone originals stays in the cloud) : it means that my cloud storage will be polluted by original phone pictures and that storage will be short soon?

If not : how do you explain that the video files (taken from phone) are still accessible in the cloud (lightroom on the web browser) even after being synced to local Lightroom knowing that Lightrrom Classic is supposed not the be able to publish videos in the cloud...

There is something I don't understand and really hope you could explain me.

Thanks in advance, regards.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jan 12, 2021 Jan 12, 2021

A file (picture taken from mobile) which is synced to computer : the original file is well stored on the computer. But does it also remains on the cloud

Yes. Unless deliberately 'Deleted'.

or is it automatically replaced by a smart preview afterwards?

No.

Lightroom Classic is supposed not the be able to publish videos in the cloud...

Correct.

Lightroom-Classic is not a 'full member' of the Cloud ecosystem and the syncing features are (very?) limited.

Everything in the Cloud will sync 'Down', bu

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Jan 14, 2021 Jan 14, 2021

Thank you very much.

Sorry for having created a parallel post..

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jan 12, 2021 Jan 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A file (picture taken from mobile) which is synced to computer : the original file is well stored on the computer. But does it also remains on the cloud

Yes. Unless deliberately 'Deleted'.

or is it automatically replaced by a smart preview afterwards?

No.

Lightroom Classic is supposed not the be able to publish videos in the cloud...

Correct.

Lightroom-Classic is not a 'full member' of the Cloud ecosystem and the syncing features are (very?) limited.

Everything in the Cloud will sync 'Down', but only Smart Previews can be synced 'Up' from Collections. (Smart Previews cannot be made from videos!)

(Comments TBMK!)

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jan 13, 2021 Jan 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like a great explanation from WobertC.

I'm marking this correct unless anyone else has counter arguments!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 13, 2021 Jan 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Rob_Cullen , @Tony_See ,

Thank for your very clear answer and confirmation.

I'm now wondering how I could improve this process (without having to switch to full cloud version as I'm afraid to loose some Classic functionnalities)...

=> The onyl thing I've in mind right now would be to manually delete from time to time the cloud originals as they are already downloaded locally.

But this could maybe trigger some issues :

Example :

I sync picture A from my mobile to classic. (so, the original is in could)

In classic, I mark it to be sync to CC (because part of a synced collection).

Then, I delete the original from cloud to save space.

=> The local original will not be deleted (good thing) but will the picture (smart preview?) still be synced to CC?

Do you have some other workflows ideas to manage this limitations in a better way? 

Do you know what Adobe strategy is :

- Improve Lightroom Cloud functionnalities to fully replace classic in future (missing development or sorting features)

- or keep both and improve Lightroom Classic with new synced possibilities (keywords, videos, etc...)

Thanks again for your support.

Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 14, 2021 Jan 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My suggestion was marked as Correct here-  DELETE ONLINE FULLSIZE FILES 

I based my answer on a blog from John Beardsworth at- Synced Photographs to Remove from Web

Follow these threads to gain an understanding.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 14, 2021 Jan 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you very much.

Sorry for having created a parallel post..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines