Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

synching confusion

Community Beginner ,
Jul 23, 2020 Jul 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.

I'll preface this by saying that this question may be the result of my not being fluent in the  Adobe language and am sort of confused by the terms Lightroom Classic, Lightroom Desktop, Lightroom Mobile and Lightroom CC.

I am using Lightroom classic (v. 9.3) on my PC and I have the app on my android. I also have Lightroom v. 3.3 on my macbook pro, which I use when I travel (just to organize the pix I've taken in case I want to review them or edit one of them on the road). Recently, while I was on a trip and using my Mac,  I got a notification that my cloud storage has filled up (I have the photography plan).  Now, I don't need Adobe cloud for storage. The only thing I synch between platforms are photos in my portfolio so I can access them on my phone.  I don't want to buy more space in the Adobe Cloud universe (I use other platforms to back everything up). So, does this mean that my pictures from my desktop that I save in a synched file called "good stuff"  will no longer synch to my phone app?  Or am I hopelessly confused, which I might very well be.

A corollary question is where can I access the photos that are already saved in the cloud? I've not figured that out.

Thanks in advance.

Peter

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jul 24, 2020 Jul 24, 2020

If you don't want images in the cloud then you should be using LrC on the laptop as well, which would utilize a local catalog and would store the images locally on the laptop. Lightroom 3.3 is specifically designed to store images in the cloud.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You indicated that you use Lightroom 3.3 to edit images when you travel. That tells me that you are importing images into that version of Lightroom when you are on the road. If that is correct then the images you are importing into Lightroom 3.3 are in the cloud, and those are the images that are using up your cloud storage space. If I'm not understanding your workflow, please clarify.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, when I travel I import my photos into the mac's Lightroom. That's
where I first saw my cloud storage was full. But I get the same message on
my PCs Lightroom platform.

So......what is there to do?

Please excuse any typos. Sent from my phone.

Peter Eckstein
Founder JEdHorizons LLC
www.jedhorizons.com
@redmenace56

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 24, 2020 Jul 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you import into Cloudy Lightroom, it will upload or "sync" the files up to the cloud storage limit. New files then get stored locally until that space frees up. So you can carry on importing into Cloudy until you get home, then unsync the files (delete from All Synced Photos in Classic Lightroom) which will free up your space for more files which Cloudy has been waiting to upload.

Your space is used by these originals, and by any phone photos or videos imported into Lightroom Mobile. It is not used by syncing from Classic, which doesn't sync originals.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In your initial message you indicated that you don't need Adobe cloud for storage. However, the fact that you are importing using Lightroom 3.3 necessitates that you ARE using Adobe cloud storage because when you import using that version of Lightroom the master images import directly to the Adobe cloud and impact your allotted storage. If you create collections using Lightroom Classic and share those collections, those are smart previews and do not count against your storage. But when you import directly into Lightroom 3.3 the master images are going to the cloud, and that is why you have used up your storage.

I am primarily a Lightroom Classic user. I use Lightroom 3.3 very little. I'm afraid if I give you any advice on what to do about reducing the amount of images you have stored in the cloud it will cause you to lose them, and I wouldn't want to feel responsible for that. Keep watching as I'm sure someone will be able to tell you what to do and how to manage your library.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So is there a way to stop Lightroom 3.3 from automatically saving in the cloud?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not normally recommended that you install LrC 9.3 and Lr 3.3 on the same computer. Lr will sync original image up to the cloud to your Creative Cloud storage.

If you have LrC sync turned on copies of the original image files will Sync down to a folder on your Computer. You have the option to choose a specific folder.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.

I have them on two different machines.  The 9.3 on my desktop PC and 3.3 on my Macbook.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"So is there a way to stop Lightroom 3.3 from automatically saving in the cloud?"

No, that is one thing it is good at doing.

You can pause syncing, but saving in the cloud is its raison d'etre.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you don't want images in the cloud then you should be using LrC on the laptop as well, which would utilize a local catalog and would store the images locally on the laptop. Lightroom 3.3 is specifically designed to store images in the cloud.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This recent newsletter from the Lightroom Queen on Cloud synching should be helpful.

https://mailchi.mp/lightroomqueen/newsletter-2020-07?e=7bb6e35b19

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines