Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Syncing edits to existing raw files

New Here ,
Jun 11, 2020 Jun 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have a question to a specific "workflow" for CC and Classic integration - hope you can give me some insights!

Let's say I collect images on a trip and transfer them solely to LR mobile on my Ipad while on the go, using a card reader. During this time, I want to only sync smart previews and edits to CC just to save space and keep the RAW locally on Ipad (disregarding data security, I know...).

Back home, I fire up Classic and import all raws using a card read, to my desktop hard drive.

-> Is there a way, and if yes how, to get the edits from the CC to the raws on my desktop, without pushing the raws through the cloud?

Best!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I am aware Lightroom Mobile will upload original files to your Adobe Creative Cloud storage and when Lightroom Classic is running and sync turned on copies of the original files will be synced to a folder on your HDD. You have the ability to select where the folder is located.

What I do when I return home is to ensure the sync has completed then pause syncing. Create a new folder where I wish the images to reside; you may need to import a single file to the folder to ensure it shows in Lightroom Classic Library. Then in the Library module select the images from the synced folder and drag to the new folder. When you are satisfied that every thing has completely to your satisfaction you can remove the original files from your iPad and the Cloud storage. If you also wish to have the images available on your mobile device then create a collection in Lightroom Classic and sync that to the Cloud storage.

This will free up storage in the Cloud and the iPad.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27ā€ mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

According to my Creative Cloud desktop app, all "mobile" and "web" versions of Lightroom are now just called Lightroom.

The laptop and desktop application is called Lightroom Classic.

Reading between the lines of your post, cant you turn off Sync in LR Classic until you are home?

Are you editing your files on the road, or just shooting and storing?

I think there are a few options for you to consider on how best to implement your needs suitably.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 13, 2020 Jun 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ Tony: Just a clarification, Lightroom Mobile is the name of the app for iPad/ Tablets, iPhone / Smartphones with image file storage and info in the Adobe Creative Cloud.

The computer-based applications are ā€Lightroom Classicā€ that utilizes a computer-based Catalog and image file storage and ā€Lightroomā€ with image file and info storage in the cloud no local-based Catalog. It is important to understand these two applications are completely stand-alone and function differently.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27ā€ mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jun 14, 2020 Jun 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Denis

I was just seeking to clarify the current branded name of the software as they appear in the Adobe ecosystem, as there has been the use of a variety of version names in posts which I have seen confuse the question somewhat.

I understand that an older installation might still retain an older software name though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 14, 2020 Jun 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is how Lightroom is named on my iPad. The current version is 5.2.5 the current version of the Desktop app is 3.2.1

So we had Lightroom CC 2015/ LR 6; Lightroom Mobile 2.x; Adobe Camera Raw 9.x

Now we have mutated to Lightroom Classic 9.x; Lightroom 3.x; Lightroom Mobile 5.x; Adobe Camera Raw 12.x

A4ABF704-B68D-4A4D-BE6B-7B31CD8A9FC2.jpeg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TBMK- If you Import to both Lightroom and Lightroom-Classic- you have separate image files in each Lr Version and they are not 'synced' as 'one', so edits to one will not sync to the other.

Any Import ('ADD') to Lightroom (Mobile , Web, Desktop, etc) will always store the Full-size files in your Cloud store. Lightroom (mobile devices) do not 'sync' Smart Previews to the Cloud and then to CLASSIC.

When Lightroom-CLASSIC has Sync turned on, these full-size files will download to your Classic system, so no need to Import here again.

It is only image files imported to the CLASSIC Catalog that will sync to the Cloud as Smart Previews (I prefer to call them Proxy files!).

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the insight. To get this clear: I just want to transfer files to my iPad (LR) and then edit some of them. Nothing during this time to do for LR Classic. At home, I fire up LR Classic and want those files I edited on the go. I know this is a stadard procedure with having LR upload RAW to the cloud and then syncing them down to Classic with all edits. However, to save cloud storage, I was thinking to only sync Smart Previews from LR (iPad), import the RAW myself to Classic with the SD Cardonce home and then connect the cloudbased smars preview edits to the imported RAWs.

But that would save me from buying the large cloud, so I see why Adobe always syncs the raws šŸ˜‰ Guess I will have to create albums and sync step by step...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

to save cloud storage, I was thinking to only sync Smart Previews from LR (iPad)

The 'bottom line' is that this cannot be achieved from the iPad!

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's what I stated in my original post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines