Exit

Syncing issues - migration of catalog to mobile ecosystem

Community Beginner ,
Oct 07, 2020 Oct 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Background.

I used Lightroom 6 with 40,000 photos on an Apple Macbook Pro

I got an Ipad and Iphone so switched to the LR subscription + Mobile and did a one time migration (LR6 would no longer connect to the Adobe system).

I hated LR so cancelled the subscription.

I hated the alternatives even more so yesterday re-subscribed but this time got the LRC subscription with PS and 1GB.

Upon installation it appeared to take my LR6 catalog and do another one-time-only migration - so I have a number of folders missing (that were only on LR).  However, when I try to sync between LRC and LR (turn it on with the cloud I get the follwoing message).

Migration Detected

A migration of this catalog to the Lightroom mobile ecosystem appears to be in progress.

It is strongly recommended that sync remains paused or off until the migration is complete.  Otherwise the results may be unexpected or confusing.

To be honest I'm already totally confused.  The "migration" started over 28 hours ago and as far as I can see from the file structure there are no changes being made anywhere (no updated "date modified" on any LR files).

All my mobile devices have now synced and show the same/correct number of photos.  It's just the LRC version, that I want to use primarily, that is now out of date and I don't know what state it is in.

Can anyone shed any light on what might have happened and what might be happening now?

Many thanks in advance,

Phil.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 08, 2020 Oct 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may of purchased the Photography Plan subscription but you have NOT downloaded and installed Lightroom CLASSIC. What you have installed is the Cloud Based version Lightroom.

What you have done is Migrate your Lr 6 catalog (that version of Lr is now called Lightroom Classic, LrC) to the newer Cloud Base Lr version and in doing so Lr has started either Moving or Copying all your images to the Adobe Cloud system.

You need to make sure you have a bnackup of all your images and or STOP the Migration (STOP the Uploading of all your images to the Cloud system) then make sure you have the Original images on your computer.

Delete everything from the Clouds and uninstall Lr. Then Install LrC (Lightroom Classic) from thje CC Desktop App.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 09, 2020 Oct 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there and thanks for replying.  

I do have the correct version installed (in fact I have all 3 - LR6 (legacy), LrC v9.4 and LR Desktop (cloud version) )  The error message definitely comes from my LrC instance, none of the others are open.  When I close LrC and open LR6 I see the same photos and number of photos as are in LrC.  When I close others and open LR I see the (additional) photos that are also on my Ipad and iPhone too so that part of the ecosystem is working well.  It's just that I don't know what state my LrC instance is in.  Is that any clearer?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 10, 2020 Oct 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry but No migration to the Mobil system is ever performed in LrC.

So even though you say you are using LrC you might also be doing something with the Cloud based Lr desktop program.

This is a VERY BAD IDEA.

Best of luck to you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 10, 2020 Oct 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agree with Just Shoot Me's comment, not good running LrC and Lr Desktop on the same computer and at the same time.

Lr Desktop will sync original files from your computer to the Adobe Cloud storage and if LrC has sync active copies of the original files will sync back down to your computer.
Just a point to ponder.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 11, 2020 Oct 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks - I definitely AM running LrC - hopefully the screenshot will confirm.  I have 3 versions installed but have only run LrC since it was installed.

Agreed about nut running multiple version - I've yet to sort out the best way to have my originals synced over the Cloud to my iPad (full, not smart) as I have a 1TB device.

Screenshot 2020-10-11 at 22.00.36.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 19, 2020 Oct 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Well it seems that my problem has foxed the community and Adobe themselves as, after 2 sessions of their experts having control of my device and a further 2 calls with their senior techies, I'm still no further along.

Oh well, my photos and sidecars are backed up.  Time to experiment I guess.

Thanks,

Phil.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines