• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Syncing LR Classic to LR re-syncs existing and new files instead of just new files...

Community Beginner ,
Nov 15, 2020 Nov 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am just starting to use the full Creative Cloud suite and have made new Collections in Lightroom Classic that I share online.  Besides the new Lightroom, I am also sharing to Adobe Portfolio.  After I sync, I paused sharing until ready to add new photos.

Now that I'm getting a higher number of photos (smart previews) shared, I add new photos to these Collections over time.  This might be one or a few photos only.  

When I turn-on sync to upload the new photos, it appears that Lightroom Classic is syncing "ALL" of my shared collections from stratch.  So instead of syncing 1-10 new photos, it is syncing 800+ total photos and totally locking up my MacBook (using processor)!  No errors, just high volume syncing.  

Is there a setting that I am missing that allows me to only sync "NEW" additions to a Collection?  I can't believe that this would be a setting that Adobe has as a default, so maybe someone can help explain what I'm seeing and how to fix it?

As it stands, this sync of "ALL" is un-scalable for future use and I won't be able to keep using Creative Cloud since it will only get worse from here.....

Thanks in advance for any help!!  Michele

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Nov 19, 2020 Nov 19, 2020

Reporting back...  

Not sure what happened there where I had too many photos syncing that caused concern.  It appeared to be more than I thought I had uploaded, was working a big batch at the time (a few hundred photos).

I now have no issues updating one or a few photos at a time into these larger collections from LR Classic to the Cloud and can turn sync on or off as needed.

Thanks, Michele

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think what you don't want to do is pause synchronization. It doesn't accomplish anything as far as I can see. I always leave sync active. If you pause it then "I think" Lightroom thinks it needs  to synchronize everything if it has been inactive for a period of time. I have found that if I leave it active it only synchronizes when I change an image that part of a collection that has been shared.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the response JimHess.  Interesting.  I'm working on adding to my Collections now and if I leave sync on it is updating indivdual photos just fine as you say.

I'll test the pause now and see if the sync of "ALL" happens again.  

For me, the pause on syncing is important.  I travel by sailboat and don't always have either the bandwidth or the data to use for live syncing.  I need to pause sync when "off-the-grid", and will choose to sync LR when I reach a suitable wifi connection.

Limited bandwidth and "pay-per-use" data is a real challenge now that everything is moving to clouds.  This is why I still start my workflow with the "offline" Lightroom Classic.  

Thanks again, will report back.  Also would appreciate any others' experiences with this sync "ALL" issue.

~Michele

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 19, 2020 Nov 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Reporting back...  

Not sure what happened there where I had too many photos syncing that caused concern.  It appeared to be more than I thought I had uploaded, was working a big batch at the time (a few hundred photos).

I now have no issues updating one or a few photos at a time into these larger collections from LR Classic to the Cloud and can turn sync on or off as needed.

Thanks, Michele

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines