• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Tagged images

Participant ,
Mar 03, 2021 Mar 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a large number of images that I tagged in Windows 10 using the file "Properties" and Detail features for each image file. Do these tags transfer with the image into the Lightroom environment? I'll be using the Envira Gallery/Lightroom Addon plugin to hopefully bring those tagged images into my website photo galleries and am hoping that my earlier efforts to tag in Windows 10 won't have to be repeated in the transfer to other environments/apps.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Expert , Mar 03, 2021 Mar 03, 2021

Both Lightrooms use keywords/tags, but don't share them with each other. Lightroom uses a flat keyword structure only, whereas Classic allows the use of a hierarchical structure. Keywords/tags in Lightroom will sync with all the other Lightroom client apps (Mobile, Web, etc.), keywords/tags in Classic do not sync anywhere.

A quick test shows that tags added using File Explorer in Win10 do import correctly into Lightroom (so I would expect they'd also import into Classic).

Votes

Translate

Translate

And while I'm at it, I should also ask; is the work done in Lightroom synched or accessible when you open Lightroom Classic?

By @SportingLife

Most things DO sync, but not all. Any image imported into any of the Lightroom clients will also download (i.e. as a copy) into Classic. Thereafter most changes you make in either Classic or any of the Lightroom apps will sync to each other, the notable exceptions being keywords, location data (though GPS coordinates do sync), face recognotin data, and p

Votes

Translate

Translate

From what you're saying, I'll have to laboriously retag all the images in either Lightroom or in Envira. Once again, thanks so much for your excellent advice and guidance.

By @SportingLife

No, that's not what I said. Any tags that you've added in Win10 File Explorer should be present when you import those images into either of the Lightroom versions, so you won't need to re-tag them.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you going to be using Lightroom Classic, or Lightroom?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Lightroom Classic. At present< i've not anticipated any need for using Cloud based apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, I mispoke...I'm using Lightroom. Is one better than the other?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I know, the cloud-centric software named Lightroom does not use keywords.

Lightroom Classic does use keywords.

So, what is the exact name and version NUMBER of your software?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, what happens when you try to import one of these photos? Do the keywords show up?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Lightroom 4.1 which, as far as I know is the latest version and update which I get regularly with my subscription. In any case, I'm taking it that by "keyword" you mean "tag". Is that synonymous with tag in Lightroom? Presently, I'm importing a large batch of tagged images from my hard drive and cannot check to see if there are any keywords resident with those imports while it is still processing. With regard to your earlier question, are you suggesting that Lightroom Classic might be better for the usage I'm referring to - tagging images?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Both Lightrooms use keywords/tags, but don't share them with each other. Lightroom uses a flat keyword structure only, whereas Classic allows the use of a hierarchical structure. Keywords/tags in Lightroom will sync with all the other Lightroom client apps (Mobile, Web, etc.), keywords/tags in Classic do not sync anywhere.

A quick test shows that tags added using File Explorer in Win10 do import correctly into Lightroom (so I would expect they'd also import into Classic).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And while I'm at it, I should also ask; is the work done in Lightroom synched or accessible when you open Lightroom Classic?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By @SportingLife

Most things DO sync, but not all. Any image imported into any of the Lightroom clients will also download (i.e. as a copy) into Classic. Thereafter most changes you make in either Classic or any of the Lightroom apps will sync to each other, the notable exceptions being keywords, location data (though GPS coordinates do sync), face recognotin data, and presets.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much for such a thorough and complete aswer. It's very difficult to embark on a web building project while at the same time trying to learn applications that will organize and improve your workflow. I have both Lightroom and Classic, but was really unsure which would be best for streamlining and integrating the processes I need to do (like tagging) for transferring and uploading images to galleries in Wordpress/Envira Gallery. From what you're saying, I'll have to laboriously retag all the images in either Lightroom or in Envira. Once again, thanks so much for your excellent advice and guidance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From what you're saying, I'll have to laboriously retag all the images in either Lightroom or in Envira. Once again, thanks so much for your excellent advice and guidance.

By @SportingLife

No, that's not what I said. Any tags that you've added in Win10 File Explorer should be present when you import those images into either of the Lightroom versions, so you won't need to re-tag them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh! I misunderstood you completely. Sorry. In the interim, I imported 1500 images (tiffs) from my hard drive and created a folder for them after the importation was complete. I then closed Lightroom. Upon my return and restart of Lightroom, I cannot find the images I uploaded..the folder is there, but no images. Am I looking in the wrong place or is there something I missed? Clicking All Photos, or Recent Added, gives no evidence that I imported anything other than a set of photos I uploaded back in January. Where'd I blow it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"In the interim, I imported 1500 images (tiffs) from my hard drive and created a folder for them after the importation was complete." At least by the normal meanings of "import" and "folder", that doesn't sound right. For Lightroom Classic, "Import" can just mean "add to Catalog" or it can mean "add to Catalog but also physically Move", or it can mean "add to Catalog but also physically Copy". With Add, the images are already in the folder that Lightroom Classic will then record as their location. With Move or Copy you state what folder they are to go to, that Lightroom Classic will then record as their location. But if you separately, outside of LrC, move the files to a different folder then you are invalidating LrC's records about where things are. Like a book library where someone has moved lots of books to differnt shelves without telling anyone, chaos then ensues. Avoidable, but, repairable chaos. Lightroom (non Classic) does not work in a local folder based way. 

Can you be more specific about the steps you carried out, and in which product - Lightroom, or Lightroom Classic? Images will not necessarily be syncing between those two, so it does matter which product you open. Also if you have had various versions of the Classic software installed over time, check that you are opening the same version and also opening the same Catalog again within that version. Whenever you adopt a new LrC version the software converts and then uses a copy of your previous Catalog (which remains in place, though, and which the older version will still be able to use). Both these Catalogs thus can operate independently - but do still refer back to (share) the same image files on disk, for those imported photos that they hold in common. And if you import images newly into one, they then won't be seen in the other.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Being more specific, in Lightroom I selected "Add images" and watched it add the 1500 images. Once the screen was full of the added images, I used the "create folder" option at the top of the page, assuming those images would be added to that folder. After exiting the software and returning, I saw that the folder I created was present, but zero images - none of the 1500 seem there in the application. I suspect I'll simply add the photos again, specifying the folder I created as the destination. I might add that in working in Lightroom, I haven't found any tutorials in Adobe that present beginner instruction in Lightroom..everything appears to be for Lightroom Classic. This is especially annoying since I've been trying to add an Envria plugin to Lightroom, but find no menu option or Plug-in managment drop down in Lightroom. Perhaps I'm better off in the Classic envrionment?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, it doesn't work like that. Folders in Lightroom are the equivalent to Collection Sets in Classic, i.e. they are containers for albums (or sub-folders). Images cannot be added to a Folder, they can only be added to an Album, but the Album can be contained within a Folder. When you import you have the option to add them to an existing Album, or create a new one....if you did neither they are not in any container other than the all-embracing All Photos. But as you say they're not appearing there either, can you post a screenshot of your Lightroom window with the left-hand panel showing? Bear in mind that when you import they then all have to be uploaded to the cloud, and 1500 tiffs is likely to take a long while (but the images should still be accessible in the desktop app). You could also login to the LrWeb app (login at lightroom.adobe.com using your Adobe ID), that's a direct pieline into you catalog in teh cloud, so is always the most accurate picture of the current cloud status.

Lightroom does not support plug-ins yet, so maybe Classic is the better option for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It also seems that it is not possible to sync the work and images I've added in Lightroom, to Lightroom Classic. I've seen tutorials to get images etc from Classic to Lightroom, but not the reverse.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Of course it's possible, users are doing it all the time. The key is that you first have to start sync in Classic (click on the cloud icon top right in the Classic Library module), after that everthing that's added to the cloud from any of the Lightrooom apps will automatically download into Classic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And yes indeed...I do see the tags under "keywords" for the 4 images I just uploaded as a test. Excellent!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines