Telling Lightroom about a replacement external Hard Drive

Apr 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My lightroom external hard drive failed. The duplicate I had been keeping using Super DUp is not a real copy, but I have 2 options: I have it backed up in the cloud with Carbonite, and Datasavers say they can save the data for too much money.   I am making a new external HD from the cloud copy, but I don't think LR will see it as if it was the originalext HD. Do I name the new drive the same or differently from the original?   How to I expain to LR there is a new path to a new External HD  to the LR folder with subfolders and about 80 GB of images?  

Thank You

TOPICS
How to, Mac, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Telling Lightroom about a replacement external Hard Drive

Apr 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My lightroom external hard drive failed. The duplicate I had been keeping using Super DUp is not a real copy, but I have 2 options: I have it backed up in the cloud with Carbonite, and Datasavers say they can save the data for too much money.   I am making a new external HD from the cloud copy, but I don't think LR will see it as if it was the originalext HD. Do I name the new drive the same or differently from the original?   How to I expain to LR there is a new path to a new External HD  to the LR folder with subfolders and about 80 GB of images?  

Thank You

TOPICS
How to, Mac, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Apr 16, 2020 0
Apr 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Hope you also have a backup of photos, or if lucky, they are on a different drive .

2. Might be easier to just fix after the fact, see

http://www.computer-darkroom.com/lr2_find_folder/find-folder.htm

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/how-move-lightroom-to-new-computer/

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 16, 2020 0
Apr 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As long as you restore the images to the same folder structure that was originally used, you will just need to tell LR where the new folder tree is:

In the Library, Folders panel, right-click on the top-most missing folder "?", select "find missing", navigate to the same folder on the new drive. LR will auto-find all the subfolders and images under that folder. Repeat as needed.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 17, 2020 0