Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Tethered Capture with Onion Skin layer for creating composites

New Here ,
Dec 12, 2016 Dec 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Feature request: 

I would like Lightroom to be able to do Tethered Capture with Onion Skin layer for creating composite images.   This would allow for a layer to be viewed over a background image in a reduced opacity (adjustable) just to make sure that perspectives are correct.   I don't want to create a real layered PS style document, just display over another to make sure it's the right perspective and such before moving forward. 

Adobe, would you please add this to a future release???

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 12, 2016 Dec 12, 2016

Lightroom has this feature, called Image Overlay.

You will need your "Onion Skin" overlay created preferably as a PNG type file with transparent areas. (Without transparency the overlay must be reduced in opacity to see the image below.)

Select the Onion Skin Overlay [Ctrl+Shift+Alt+O]  or Menu>View>Loupe Overlay>Choose Layout Image. The overlay can be re-sized, and hold Ctrl to adjust opacity with the 'scrubby' adjustment below the image.

ScreenShot012.jpg

With Loupe view active, and camera tethered, as the images

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Dec 12, 2016 Dec 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom has this feature, called Image Overlay.

You will need your "Onion Skin" overlay created preferably as a PNG type file with transparent areas. (Without transparency the overlay must be reduced in opacity to see the image below.)

Select the Onion Skin Overlay [Ctrl+Shift+Alt+O]  or Menu>View>Loupe Overlay>Choose Layout Image. The overlay can be re-sized, and hold Ctrl to adjust opacity with the 'scrubby' adjustment below the image.

ScreenShot012.jpg

With Loupe view active, and camera tethered, as the images import you will see them with the Overlay in place.

ScreenShot011.jpg

Ctrl+Alt+O  will toggle the overlay Visible/Hidden.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 16, 2016 Dec 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, very much!!   I had no idea that feature was in Lightroom!!   It works great!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 11, 2018 Dec 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to set the overlay image using another image in your catalogue rather than loading it from the source file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 11, 2018 Dec 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

danielg17150403  wrote

Is there a way to set the overlay image using another image in your catalogue rather than loading it from the source file?

I do not think so. (I have not found a way to select the Overlay from a Lightroom folder view)

Selecting an "Overlay" image [Ctrl+Alt+Shift+O]  always opens up the File browser (File Explorer / Finder).

I suggest to create a folder to store your PNG (with transparency) overlay files making them easy to find.

Use this same folder to store PNG Identity plate graphics and Logos, etc.

Your folder of 'Overlays' can be imported to show  in the Lightroom catalog (like any other image), so if memory is failing, you can right-click the overlay image in the Catalog to [Show in Explorer/Finder], and refresh your memory.

Edit: I just noticed (LR-Classic v8.0) that [Ctrl+Alt+Shift+O] will only show PNG type files for choice. So 'Overlay' files MUST be of PNG file-type!

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 12, 2018 Dec 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a shame. Adobe maybe this can be a feature in the future? I am a product photographer and it would be handy for positioning different colour products in exactly the same place without the hassle of having to go in search of the last picture I took.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 12, 2018 Dec 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

danielg17150403  wrote

That's a shame. Adobe maybe this can be a feature in the future? I am a product photographer and it would be handy for positioning different colour products in exactly the same place without the hassle of having to go in search of the last picture I took.

Sorry, I am not sure what you mean by "last picture I took"

Once you have enabled an 'Overlay' on the screen you can still cursor forward/back through images in 'Loupe' view (E).

Also, when using tethered capture, with the overlay active, every incoming photo from the camera will show with the overlay, so as you shoot you see the shot with the overlay.

So you can do a product shoot with the overlay active as a guide to product placement.

I used an overlay for a photo-booth wedding shoot- as guests took their own photo with a remote trigger, they then could see their photo on my laptop with my identity plate as an overlay.

https://layersmagazine.com/using-image-overlay-in-lightroom-to-preview-layouts-while-shooting-tether...

https://lightroomkillertips.com/adding-overlays-lightrooms-loupe-view/

Lightroom: Using a Layout Image - YouTube

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 16, 2021 Feb 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agree. I'm still looking for a solution years after this post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 16, 2021 Feb 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At jrubesd, if you wish to post a new feature request then the appropriate forum is located at feedback.photoshop dot com.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 17, 2021 Feb 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@jrubesd   "Agree."  with what exactly?

What solution are you looking for?

As in my answer- Lightroom-Classic has an 'Overlay' function.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines