Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Thick horizontal line through images in Lightroom 6

New Here ,
Feb 23, 2021 Feb 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, 

Recently, these black lines have started appearing in some images in Library and when I click on Develop, the line turns blue.  I am running LR6 V13.  The original photo stored on my external drive looks fine.  I have noticed lately that some of my images are not recognized upon import (different problem but maybe points to a bad card or bad card reader).  I also thought it might be my graphics card.  Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.  Thank you.

DSC_0980.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Feb 24, 2021 Feb 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry that some images in Lightroom 6 are showing up as corrupt.

Which version of Lightroom 6 are you using? It seems that the images on the card are corrupt since the issue only occurs with a few images.

Still, please check if deselecting the option "Use Graphics Processor" located in Lightroom's Preferences > Performance menu helps the cause.

I'd recommend that you move the content of the card somewhere else and then format the card to see if that helps.

Thanks,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.  I am running LR6 V13

I did see a previous comment about changing preferences and I did try that (but I did not restart after I changed it, so maybe I need to do that).

I always copy the images to my external drive first, then I import to lightroom.  The image looks good when I open it from my external drive.  So I guess that being said, it seems like a graphics card issue, since I am not importing from a card.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@wendys78329138 wrote:

The original photo stored on my external drive looks fine.

Viewing how? You may only be seeing the embedded JPEG while the raw itself is corrupted. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I looked at both the raw file and jpeg and don't see this line.  I only see it in LR (and I only import from the external drive).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But you didn't answer how you are viewing the image. What software are you using to view the image outside of Lightroom Classic?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry.  I did not understand what you meant.  I am going to my external drive, finding the raw file and jpeg file in microsoft explorer - they open in MS Photo.  Seems like I am looking at the raw file since the extension is NEF.  

I also deleted the image from LR and re-imported it again.  The image does not have the line when I'm in the import screen - it only appears after I import.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows Photos does not display the raw data. It displays a small jpeg preview that was generated in camera and embedded in the file.

This jpeg preview is a very small part of the file, and a corrupt raw file will usually appear perfectly fine in viewers that only display this jpeg preview.

The import screen also displays the jpegs. The raw data haven't been processed into images yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 25, 2021 Feb 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok.  Thank you.  I will see if I can find something other than MS Photo to view the raw file outside of LR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a corrupt file, so anything that doesn't show the stripe, doesn't show you the full raw data.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes.  I am putting that card aside and replacing my old card readers.  I hope that solves the issue going forward.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines