• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Thumbnails rearranged themselves with no input...

Participant ,
Sep 15, 2020 Sep 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR Classic - While in Library grid view and without my touching anything, the thumbnails rearranged themselves. Under what circumstances would this happen? I had previously renamed the images in that folder.

This happened twice (that I know of) while trying to figure out a problem with renaming files (+ a sort-by-capture-time issue).

The images in question are on L: drive, which is a NAS that also syncs to cloud storage. I do not use Lightroom sync.

Lightroom Classic version: 9.4 [ 202008061458-dbb2971e ]
License: Creative Cloud
Language setting: en
Operating system: Windows 10 - Business Edition
Version: 10.0.18363
Application architecture: x64
System architecture: x64
Logical processor count: 4
Processor speed: 3.6 GHz
SqLite Version: 3.30.1

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does changing the sort order via the menu View > Sort restore the thumbnails to the desired order?

[Use the blue reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

johnrellis wrote: "Does changing the sort order via the menu View > Sort restore the thumbnails to the desired order?"

I don't know because when I went to try your suggestion, the thumbnails rearranged again. All I had done is navigate to the folder in question. They now appear to be in the correct order by capture time and file name.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[This post contains formatting and embedded images that don't appear in email. View the post in your Web browser.]

Make sure the toolbar is showing by doing View > Show Toolbar. Then pay attention to the sort order at the bottom: 

johnrellis_0-1600236650833.png

Do you see it change, or does it stay the same?

[Use the blue reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 16, 2020 Sep 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The sort order hasn't changed, but I also have not seen the issue of the thumbnails rearranging again.

FYI: Some of the thumbnails have ! (Metadata has conflict).

Since I have not seen the rearranging again, do we just drop the subject unless it happens again?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 16, 2020 Sep 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"Some of the thumbnails have ! (Metadata has conflict)"

LR sometimes shows bogus metadata conflicts. If you haven't used another app to change the photos (e.g. Photo Mechanic or Bridge), then it's safe just to select those photos and do the menu command Metadata > Save Metadata To File to get rid of the badge on the thumbnails.

"Since I have not seen the rearranging again, do we just drop the subject unless it happens again?"

Unless you can determine a pattern of when /how it happens, there's not much that Adobe will do about it. But if it happens repeatedly again, you can file a bug report that Adobe will see in the official Adobe feedback forum:

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/send-bug-report-feature-request-adobe/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines