• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Tiff files do not show in collection after edits..

New Here ,
Nov 04, 2019 Nov 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im sure this has been asked before..  

I import photos, I add them to a collection for organizing..  I edit in photoshop for better adjustments.  When I save from photoshop it creates a tiff file.  The tiff file is in the collection.  I exit lightroom.  I come back the next day to continue editing in catalog.  Tiffs are not in the collection but they are in the folder.

How and why are they disappearing from the collection?

I have done a reset of lightroom (mac - Opt-Shift-dblclick) and reset preferences.  The flag filters are unflagged.

Ive done everything...

Any suggestions or is this a bug in lightroom?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Dec 28, 2023 Dec 28, 2023

I have done this. Starting off in the collection and then navigating to the folder view, editing raw file in photoshop and then forgettting that I'm in the folder view instead of the collection. It's a gotcha. This happened when I'm adding stray photos to a collection (and folder).

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Oct 12, 2020 Oct 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue. I understand collections only show the original files. However, collections DO show the original .tiff file for a while until you have to import another file into that collection. Then suddenly, all the .tiff files no longer show and I have to go to the Library Module and find them in the Folders Tab (left panel).

In my mind, collections should be organization buckets that contain files and all their edits. If we have to go somewhere else to find our edits for any reason, what good are collections? We process thousands of files for a single wedding and collections can not help us organize the different parts of a wedding because if we have to import new files into a collection, we can only access our edits from somewhere else. So unless I'm missing something, our workflows should NOT include using collections and instead we should work directly from Folders tab. Right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I understand collections only show the original files."

Nothing in Lightroom ever shows "a file" per se. What you see are image meta-versions, each one referring to a file (though several can differ while still referring to the same common file).

A given image version might be: a master version based on an out-of-camera file; a virtual copy based on that; a master version based on a derived (externally edited) file; a virtual copy based on that. These kinds of image are all treated by LR interchangeably - so far as what you can do to / with them, within the LR environment.

A folder based view presents all the image versions within the Catalog, that refer to any file held within that folder. A Collection view presents all the image versions within the Catalog that have got explicit membership in that collection, and a Smart Collection view presents all image versions whose attributes qualify them to be included.

A new virtual copy created while viewed in the context of a given Collection, inherits membership in this Collection. But if created while viewed in some other context, it will not inherit membership in this same Collection.

The same principle  normally should apply when creating a derived file (to externally edit). So, say an image has membership in Collection A and also in Collection B, as well as of course, appearing in its folder. If I generate this new edit version from viewing it in the folder, the new thumbnail will not show in any Collections. If I generate it instead from inside Collection B, the new thumbnail will show up in the folder (as always), in Collection B (due to inheritance of the context), but not in Collection A, unless specifically added to that as a separate action. So far as the new thumbnail appearing or not appearing in Smart Collections, this has solely to do with how its individual attributes meet, or don't meet, the inclusion rules for this SC.

That's the as-designed behaviour and expectation AFAICT.  If something else is happening, this will benefit from some careful and systematic testing to nail down which part of the above scheme, is not being honoured in practice.

"In my mind, collections should be organization buckets that contain files and all their edits."

Pretty much, that is what Folder view gives you. A Collection might be used to curate a particular set of image versions towards a certain purpose - say, your current portfolio of a certain kind of photography. A given image file may have been multiply edited in various ways. But for this portfolio, you will select just one "most-portfolio-worthy" version. You won't want to see all those others too, in this context and for this purpose.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"In my mind, collections should be organization buckets that contain files and all their edits."

Pretty much, that is what Folder view gives you. 

I should have said: also whatever keywording was applied to am image version based on a camera file, will be inherited by any derived versions made for external editing. So those keywords can help search out all of the variants arising from a given original exposure. Also once you have found any version of that exposure (perhaps, called out in a Collection) then you can right-click on that and choose Show in Folder, to expose all of the other versions of, or based on, this same exposure too. If sorted by Capture Date then these are shown alongside each other.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ jcoz, it's as Richard indicates. Just some thoughts.

Folders that are displayed in the LrC Library module represent actual folders from your computer structure that contain the actual image files. The folders that are displayed in LrC Library Module are only folders that actually contain image files that you have imported to the LrC Catalog.

Collections in LrC do not contain image files or copies of image files it's just data stored in the Catalog. You can add images to multiple Collections but there is only the original image file that is stored in your Folder system of your Computer.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not having this problem ... or we are not doing the same thing.

I open a collection. I select a photo and then edit in Photoshop. When finished in Photoshop, I save the photo, and then back in Lightroom Classic the edited photo (a .tif file) appears in the collection. Later, I close Lightroom Classic and even later I re-open Lightroom Classic, and the edited photo remains in the Collection, right next to the original.

Is it possible you don't have the collection sorted by capture time? If you have it sorted according to some other criteria, the edited photo may be in the collection but not next to the original.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you use the "edit-in option" to send the image to PS are you doing so from the Collection or the Folder?

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 28, 2023 Dec 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have done this. Starting off in the collection and then navigating to the folder view, editing raw file in photoshop and then forgettting that I'm in the folder view instead of the collection. It's a gotcha. This happened when I'm adding stray photos to a collection (and folder).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 28, 2023 Dec 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

And yet the availability of both a folder view AND of (an indefinite number of) collections, and smart collections, is highly productive. The only way to remove all possibility of mistake, would be to remove all possibility of choice - and provide only one scheme of organisation. That scheme would then need to do everything in one, probably necessitating file duplication, and the complexity of that would introduce at least as many kinds of potential mistake. For example: of accidentally editing (or deleting) the unintended version for a given photograph - or of pilot error or wasted effort, in the continual micromanagement of a folder structure.

The Catalog allows us to maintain different kinds of organisation all running in parallel, and that means each can be very simple and evident in its nature.

I think a lot of this depends on non-technical considerations: we must suit the arrangement of our image library to our own thought processes and continue to adapt fluidly as we go (so far as virtual methods; not requiring any files and folders to actually move around). Also being explorative with it. Soon, for example, discovering that one can invoke a PS edit directly from within the Collection when one does want the result seen in the Collection, but from outside of that Collection when one does not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines