Highlighted

Time for LR to stop defaulting its file storage to Drive C

New Here ,
Aug 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Adobe

Please add some default locations for file storage other than Drive C. The last thing you want is to fill up Windows C when it is a SDD. Add a default (favorite)  file location for input and one for where you want the files located on your HDD.  The Adobe file input has changed little since inception. This is the one reason I don't recommend LR to my friends are new to photography because they have a hard time keeping track of where there files went.

Al

Topics

Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Time for LR to stop defaulting its file storage to Drive C

New Here ,
Aug 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Adobe

Please add some default locations for file storage other than Drive C. The last thing you want is to fill up Windows C when it is a SDD. Add a default (favorite)  file location for input and one for where you want the files located on your HDD.  The Adobe file input has changed little since inception. This is the one reason I don't recommend LR to my friends are new to photography because they have a hard time keeping track of where there files went.

Al

Topics

Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't understand your problem exactly. You've been able to locate the Lightroom catalog on another drive as the system drive C:. You can also locate the RAW cache on another  drive.

I'm also using Lightroom and my system drive will not be filled by lightroom. My catalog (including the previews) located on a separate SSD. The RAW cache I've configure to a hard drive that is reserved for such scratch files.  

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed, this is the way to do it but on occasion, I forget to change the default from C and then stuff ends up in C. In this modern age of computer software, why not have a default-favourite other than drive C? This would seem to be about a 5 minute programming job.   Drive C is a carry over from old days of computers when there was one drive and it was called C. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

see:

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/lightroom-catalog-basics.html

https://digital-photography-school.com/understanding-the-lightroom-catalog-and-file-management-syste...

https://photographylife.com/how-to-organize-photos-in-lightroom

https://photoshopcafe.com/lightroom-catalog-mess-organize-photos-lightroom/

and many others

Just another Adobe customer; My Sys; APP: LRC 9.4, PS 21.2.1; CMP: WIN WS 16GB OS 10 v1909 (18363), mid 2015 MBPr 15” 16GB MACOS 10.15.6; 4K EXT DSPY; CAM: Canon 5D Mk III, Fuji X-T3

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Adobe

Please add ...

We are not Adobe in this forum. We cannot make changes to the software. Making your request in this forum accomplishes nothing. You need to place your request in the proper place for feature requests — on the main page of this forum, there is a link that says "Submit product feedback", that way the Adobe programming team for Lightroom Classic will see it.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I guess if I am the only user in the world with this issue, they are
unlikely to fix it.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your reply ignores my message. I don't know if you are the only person with this problem, and I never said you were, but if you go to that link, you can search and see if others have made a similar request.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quote:

Please add some default locations for file storage other than Drive C. The last thing you want is to fill up Windows C when it is a SDD.

End Quote:

Most computers only have a C drive.

LrC will always default to the C drive, specifically the Pictures folder in your User Name folder. This is by default not only for LrC but for 99% of all programs. It is a Windows thing.

Simplest thing to do is create an Import Preset that sets the drive and folder you want to use for the images you copy off the memory cards from your camera. Just remember to check the destination sections before you click the import button and if it isn't going to the correct driove and folder then select your preset.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed that some legacy Windows apps are stuck in the past with
c:users\pictures mode. Will try the preset. Thanks.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not just legacy programs. Office, Word, Excel, whatever default to the Documents folder under your Username folder. 

You have to Change the location of the Documents folder in the properties for it to go to some other drive.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep. One can do that. Question is why. I guess I am getting spoiled with
Android. Will also see if the preset works.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Android is not a Multi user Computer (although cell/smart phones are computers) operating system. Way back in the 90's there was One computer in a household that as many as 4+ people might use. There needed to be an Account for each person and in that Account a folder for each username the the OS defaulted to for saving that users files to. 

Once I set, once I use the Preset I have saves, that selects the options I want and the drive and folder to save imports to, it never changes unless I so some other import. Like instead of using the Copy option I use the move or Add option then when I go back to the copy oiption for importing I have to ceck all my settings and or load that preset again. But if I always import from a memory card in a card reader LrC remember where it is supposed to Copy the files to.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines