• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Tone Curve Still Sucks

Engaged ,
Sep 23, 2019 Sep 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I appreciate the slight improvements made to LR over the past year or two but the one I'd really like to see improved upon is the unbelievably sluggish tone curve (Windows 10, GTX 1070, i7 @ 4.5GHZ, 4K). Why can't this be easily fixed, I'd really like to know. 

Working with Canon & Fujifilm Raws, Phase One TIFFs (slightly better with these files but not by much). 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 24, 2019 Sep 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a user-to-user forum. For feature requests or complaints, go to https://feedback.photoshop.com. Search for your feature request first. If it is already requested by someone else, then don't create a new thread but add your vote to the existing request.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actualy, it can also be viewed as, why is the OP having performance issues when using the tone curve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is so frustrating to have issues in newer faster more capable computers. My rig is not as capable as yours (at least a slower CPU, oh, but to be fair my GPU  is the 1070 Ti) and I do not have these issues with tone curve, or for that matter adjustment brushes. Mind you, while I do have a 4K display, I normally run it at 2K res.

But moving on

As your OS is Windows, and as such you can reduce your display resolution, do you see better performance in the tone curve response at the lower res?

Yes, I know, you did not spend big bucks to run at 2K. Try this as a diagnostic step

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, please post your system information as Lightroom reports it

In Lightroom

/Help/System Information/Copy/

Paste (do not attach) in a reply. Interested in information from first line down to just past plug-in information, not interested in gobblygook after plug-in information.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The reply box is really just a line, so sorry for all the gobblygook, but I'm not feeling much like leaning on the backspace key...(haven't tried the reduction in res yet)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm pasting and posting to this box but it won't let me reply for whatever reason. Another glitch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, as to these #^#% reply boxes, Start your reply, post it, then edit it. When you edit it a full size box will be presented

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Sep 25, 2019 Sep 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom Classic version: 8.4.1 [ 201909111355-eb9b68f0 ]
License: Creative Cloud
Language setting: en
Operating system: Windows 10 - Home Premium Edition
Version: 10.0.17763
Application architecture: x64
System architecture: x64
Logical processor count: 8
Processor speed: 3.5 GHz
Built-in memory: 32701.2 MB
Real memory available to Lightroom: 32701.2 MB
Real memory used by Lightroom: 3541.2 MB (10.8%)
Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 4017.2 MB
GDI objects count: 702
USER objects count: 2210
Process handles count: 2308
Memory cache size: 0.0MB
Internal Camera Raw version: 11.4.1 [ 291 ]
Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 5
Camera Raw SIMD optimization: SSE2,AVX,AVX2
Camera Raw virtual memory: 189MB / 16350MB (1%)
Camera Raw real memory: 189MB / 32701MB (0%)
System DPI setting: 144 DPI (high DPI mode)
Desktop composition enabled: Yes
Displays: 1) 3840x2160
Input types: Multitouch: Yes, Integrated touch: Yes, Integrated pen: No, External touch: No, External pen: No, Keyboard: No

Graphics Processor Info:
DirectX: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (26.21.14.3630)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, looks all fairly up to date.

Display at 4K, so some performance issues can be especred, hopefully the new GPU acceleration would take care of

Lightroom is using DirectX, so no issue their. check

GPU driver up to date, check

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did not, I think, provide one link. This on performance of NVIDIA GPU’s. Apparently not all issues/solutions for Lightroom performance revolving around the GPU are caused by Lightroom settings. Apparently can cause Lightroom to deny acceleration.

see:

https://www.winhelp.info/boost-lightroom-performance-on-systems-with-nvidia-graphics-chip.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your help, David. I suspected the GPU power settings a couple of years ago and changed this to your link's recommended settings already. Despite my GPU settings in LR set already to 'auto', I changed to 'custom' anyway. My cache is already set at 40GB on the same internal drive as the catalogs reside (ssd sata which is always at least 1/3 free space), independent of the OS m.2 ssd.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

May want to contact Adobe. Usually the issue is with adjustment brushes slowing down, and everything slowing down after several brushes have been applied. Always with 4K or 5K. But the tone curve sluggish? Odd.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 09, 2019 Oct 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi David, I found a solution to this problem - I found it on a reddit thread that's linked within one of the tone curve discussions in this forum. The problem stems from having too many tone curve presets. I temporarily changed my tone curve presets folder's name so that LR couldn't "find" it. The tone curve is responsive and fluid now. Unfortunately for all of us, Adobe devs haven't found a way to let us keep all our presets intact without affecting the performance for some reason. This is really strange. as the tone curve functionality should be in no way affected by the amount of presets available to it. This is akin to selling us a Porsche but in the same breath telling us to "always keep it under 80 km per hour.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 09, 2019 Oct 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi David, I found a solution to this problem - I found it on a reddit thread that's linked within one of the tone curve discussions in this forum. The problem stems from having too many tone curve presets. I temporarily changed my tone curve presets folder's name so that LR couldn't "find" it. The tone curve is responsive and fluid now. Unfortunately for all of us, Adobe devs haven't found a way to let us keep all our presets intact without affecting the performance for some reason. This is really strange. as the tone curve functionality should be in no way affected by the amount of presets available to it. This is akin to selling us a Porsche but in the same breath telling us to "always keep it under 80 km per hour.

Would those presets be develop presets?

Just how many do you have?

An occasional performance issue can occur if you have too many develop presets visable, I think the issue occurs if in the hundreds, perhaps thousands. Solution is to not relocate or delete some presets but to manage the visibility of them in the presets panel (right click/manage/ check on or off as you see fit)

hmm, was looking for a link, this one actually reccomend what you did:

https://blog.thomasfitzgeraldphotography.com/blog/2016/3/speed-up-lightroom-by-managing-your-develop...

and https://digitalphotographycourses.co.za/getting-more-speed-in-lightroom-classic-cc/ but try simply hideing them instead of moving

PLEASE USE THE BLUE BUTTON WHEN REPLYING TO POSTS
Helps to show posts in date/time order, improves visibility (as not hidden in a reply to a reply), and is easier to use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines