• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Totally lost when trying to move Lightroom cc Classic to a new computer

New Here ,
Dec 07, 2020 Dec 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom cc Classic was working fine on my old laptop.  I purchased a new computer with more power and tried to move Lightroom to my new computer.  I am a total computer idiot and find a way to screw things up with the speed of a heat-seeking missile.  This is all Windows 10 equipment. 

I backed up Lightroom on the old computer and tried to follow instructions on a YouTube post, copying the catalog on to an external SSD.  I created a new folder in the Windows 10 file explorer and placed it in the Photos file, and then copied the catalog into that file.

Then I booted Lightroom on the new computer, none of the files can be found by Lightroom.  I am guessing that I did not get the entire catalog moved over and have no idea what to do next.  

To add insult to injury, when I copied the catalog I somehow made a change on the Lightroom on my old computer.  I restored Lightroom and the images are there but the file section in the Navigator pane is gone.

Any ideas what I should do now  (Give up photography?)?

Any suggestions will have to be made as though you are talking to an idiot.

Thanks 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You did not mention- COPYING ALL YOUR PHOTO FOLDERS AND FILES.

Did you ?

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 08, 2020 Dec 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apparently, I do not understand what I am trying to do well enough to be
able to answer that. On the new computer, the files are listed but all
have a question mark. I think that means that LIghtroom can not find the
file it needs. I am now trying to figure it out. I have a hate, hate
relationship with computers. It is not that I am paranoid, it is just that
the damn things are out to get me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The question mark you are seeing is answered in step 6 in the link posted earlier by Just Shoot Me. You just need to re-establish the paths to the files on the new computer, and if there is one top level folder containing them all then it should just take you a quick right-click to show Lightroom Classic where they are now.

If it seems like things have not been set right immediately, wait a little while. I recently moved photos to a new hard drive, and after I relinked as described, it didn't look like it was working at first, but when I came back a while later it was finished and perfect. I think it took a little more time to process because I was having Lightroom Classic relink to over 100,000 photos and videos being tracked in the catalog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Thanks for the information and encouragement. Unfortunately, I tried
something different based on the link sent to me and I have made things
worse. Back to the drawing board.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines