Transfer LR catalogues to a new PC

Participant ,
Nov 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need some advice for transferring my LR catalogues from an old PC to a new PC.

Are there any guides on this?

I have a few catalogues and each one references 1000’s of images spread over multiple drives, and they have collections and publish services.

Largest catalogue is 137K files over 9 drives (approx. size 3TB)

What is the best practice for moving everything to a new PC?

Some of the catalogues overlap (i.e have common files) but I can do some houskeeping and get everything into a single catalogue if needed.

I recall a log time ago that LR could use sidecar XMP files for each edit and virtual copy and therefore not hold any significant data in the dbase.

If this is correct, then can I convert to this mode and then simply move all files (raw/jpg+xmp) to the new PC and let the new LR installation just ‘find everything’?

I would be happy to handle one drive at a time and do the move in 9 steps if that is an easier option.

I could live with losing the catalogues but would like to retain them if possible.

The new PC has not been built yet. It will have an SSD initially and a 4TB external drive but this would be temporary until I can physicaly move drives from the old PC to the new PC. (2x2TB, 1x1TB)

Both PC’s would be on a Gigbit LAN so copying files over the network is not an issue.

I am on the Photography plan.

I am using LR Classic version 10.0 

Windows 10 Home

TOPICS
How to, Import and export, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Transfer LR catalogues to a new PC

Participant ,
Nov 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need some advice for transferring my LR catalogues from an old PC to a new PC.

Are there any guides on this?

I have a few catalogues and each one references 1000’s of images spread over multiple drives, and they have collections and publish services.

Largest catalogue is 137K files over 9 drives (approx. size 3TB)

What is the best practice for moving everything to a new PC?

Some of the catalogues overlap (i.e have common files) but I can do some houskeeping and get everything into a single catalogue if needed.

I recall a log time ago that LR could use sidecar XMP files for each edit and virtual copy and therefore not hold any significant data in the dbase.

If this is correct, then can I convert to this mode and then simply move all files (raw/jpg+xmp) to the new PC and let the new LR installation just ‘find everything’?

I would be happy to handle one drive at a time and do the move in 9 steps if that is an easier option.

I could live with losing the catalogues but would like to retain them if possible.

The new PC has not been built yet. It will have an SSD initially and a 4TB external drive but this would be temporary until I can physicaly move drives from the old PC to the new PC. (2x2TB, 1x1TB)

Both PC’s would be on a Gigbit LAN so copying files over the network is not an issue.

I am on the Photography plan.

I am using LR Classic version 10.0 

Windows 10 Home

TOPICS
How to, Import and export, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Nov 07, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Nov 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/how-move-lightroom-to-new-computer/

Merging into one catalog before the move is probably a good idea.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 07, 2020 2
LEGEND ,
Nov 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recall a log time ago that LR could use sidecar XMP files for each edit and virtual copy and therefore not hold any significant data in the dbase. If this is correct, then can I convert to this mode and then simply move all files (raw/jpg+xmp) to the new PC and let the new LR installation just ‘find everything’?

NO! XMP files will not get the job done here.

Follow the instructions at Lightroom Queen exactly as written, do not skip any steps (unless they clearly don't apply as in the part where you move to a Mac), do not add in your own steps, do not IMPORT photos on the new PC.

This is so important, I am going to say it three more times in bold and uppercase.

DO NOT IMPORT.

DO NOT IMPORT.

DO NOT IMPORT.

DO NOT IMPORT.

DO NOT IMPORT.

DO NOT IMPORT.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 07, 2020 0
Participant ,
Nov 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.

So I will definitely need to move everything to the single 4TB drive first as it's the only single drive big enough for all files. Should take a few hours.

As it's an external drive this makes it easy to move to the new pc with the same drive letter.

Then copy the lrcat (& others)  and its should just work.

Move old drives to the new pc and move images to internal drives.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 07, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not only will it be necessary for you to move the catalogs to the new computer, but you will need to move all of the images to the new computer as well. Since you are going to place them all on a single large hard drive rather than on the various hard drives they were on previously, Lightroom is going to tell you that many of the images are missing. This is because they aren't going to be where the were located previously. Here is a document you will want to become familiar with that will help you link up the missing folders again after you get them all placed on the new hard drive.

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/lightroom-photos-missing-fix/ 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 07, 2020 0
PhilT_GP LATEST
Participant ,
Nov 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the info 🙂

I have made some progress.

I purchased a new 4TB drive . Installed it in the old PC, assigned it the drive letter E: and moved all images in LR to the new drive. My LR catalogue has a single drive with all images. My collections and publih services are all ok.
I decided to make this move BEFORE I got the new PC instead of transferring over the LAN.

When I get the new PC, this drive will move to it and be assigned the drive letter E: 
then I will backup the LR catalogue files and move them over (over 2GB at the moment).

LR should still look for the images on E: and hopefully all is ok.

But, I have a few publish plugins to move/install. So my workflow will be...

Install LR on the new PC, and setup a dummy catalogue on C:
Install all plugins and configure them with the exact same settings as the old PC. Make sure I have everything working.

Move E: to the new PC and the backed up catalogue files.

Open the large catalogue .... and keep my fingers crossed.

I still have lots of other housekeeping to do on the old PC first as I will be moving 3 drives in total.

My schedule is to finish the cleanup before Black Friday and then hope to get a good price on the new PC.

So, it may be a few weeks before I report back with my progress.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 15, 2020 0