Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Transform tool issue

New Here ,
Mar 16, 2020 Mar 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I'm facing a very strange issue where my Transform tool is not functioning properly.

I use braketing as standard way of shooting. Now,  let say I'm doing 5 brkt. All 5 pictures are perfectly 100% aligned when imported in LR. Now, if I use for instance the "Vertical" option from the "Transform" tool, the photos do not aligned anymore, there is a small shift between the pictures. I have contacted Adobe support and they are not able to find a solution. Has anyone encounterd a similar issue?

thanks for the help

Alex

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this behavior repeatable? Can you make it happen on any set of images that you've  bracketed? What are your  system spec.s and software versions of Lightroom and your OS?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for jumping in!

Yes, it is definitly repeatable. Not only the problem occurs with my most recent photos (taken with Sony A7r4) but I also tried with my oldest photos (taken with my Sony A7r3). Also important, the issue only occured a couple of months ago. I have tried with previous version of Lightroom, same issue.

I'm working on Windows 10 Pro.64bit. 32 GB RAM and i9 processor.

Adobe Lightroom 9.2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These brackets, are they taken for HDR purpose, or just for exposure safety?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What lens? Prime or Zoom?

issue with focal length creep?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks David,

The bracketing is crucial in my line of work since I do Realestate photography. I don't necessarely do HDR but I always layers 2 photos in Photoshop afterward, and if they are not perfectly aligned then I let you imagine the issues.

The issue occurs with both prime and focus lenses. Any option from the "Transform" tool is having the problem: Auto, Guided, level, Vertical or Full.

I have made a samll video on Youtube called "Lightroom issue alex 2020"

There you can see first my 2 photos perfectly aligned, then as soon as I'm using the Transfrom tool, my pictures are off...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Mar 24, 2020 Mar 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Transform tool is probably finding different vertical lines to use for the transformation from one picture to the next. In your video, the overexposed image is probably forcing the tool to find a different vertical reference because of the blown areas of the image. That is, whatever vertical reference was used in the darker image may not be visible in the overexposed one. Because of the perspective of the lines, this could cause the misalignment you see.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The bracket, do you change shutter speed or aperture?

If aperture, perhaps a perspective issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I made a small video, hope this help understand my issue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you mean to attach it or send a link so that we can view it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ah sorry, I meant to give away the link but it seems that I am unable to copy a youtube link in the body message, sorry (must be an Adobe chat restriction)

You can find it on Youtube under the name :

"Lightroom issue alex 2020":

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So 2 things, first one to issue

What are you going to accomplish with the photos when you bring them into Photoshop. If I understand (and lately that is in doubt) you are going to combine them in some way?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 17, 2020 Mar 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks David for helping out. I'd like to say that it doesn't really matter what I want to achieve with aligning my photos, it could be for HDR purposes or just getting back some lights here and there, etc... the main issue is that Lightroom Transform tool is not working properly, I need a solution there, not trying to find a workaround for my work if that make sense.

What do you have in mind? have you had such issue before? Many thanks! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ask what are you accomplishing in PS, because I have a hunch you may be trying to accommplish some alignment in LRC before editing in Photoshop, tbat is unnessecary.  Just bring the photos into PS, let PS align. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, this could do, but it doesn't explain or fix the issue in Lightroom 🙂 This is such a small but importnat feature and it's not doing its job for me, I still don;'t know why. So far Adobe support have spent lots of time and were unable to resolve it, nor to point out what could be wrong..

What do I do next? Anyone out there?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Second thing has nothing to do with ussue, just a curiosity, and nit a real estate photographer.

Why ISO 50?

Sony A7r3 base ISO 100? unless you wanted to increase exposure time, no gain from going below ISO 100.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should use vertical on the first photo and then use Copy/Paste or Sync using "Upright Transform" to apply the exact same corrections to the target photos but there are MAJOR bugs in Transform in Lr9.2 so the Transform process is no longer working correctly.

See here for more info.

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/lightroom-transform-doesnt-copy-sync-correctl...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bob,

Thanks for pointing this out! I'm happy to see it is not only happening to me. Using the Sync option I have tried of course but the issue remains unfortunatly...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm facing a very strange issue where my Transform tool is not functioning properly.

I use braketing as standard way of shooting. Now, let say I'm doing 5 brkt. All 5 pictures are perfectly 100% aligned when imported in LR. Now, if I use for instance the "Vertical" option from the "Transform" tool, the photos do not aligned anymore, there is a small shift between the pictures. I have contacted Adobe support and they are not able to find a solution. Has anyone encounterd a similar issue?

Did this ever work properly? Or is this an apparent change from previous behavior?

I can understand how, if you take 5 bracketed shots, perfectly aligned, but the algorithm has to detect straight lines, and so then in the darker photos maybe the straight lines are harder to detect and are slightly different than the straight lines detected in the brighter photos.

What happens if you perform the photo merge before you do the transform, when everything is perfectly aligned? This should eliminate the problem for the photo merge, and then after the photo merge you only have one image to vertically align, not a problem either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, thanks for jumping in. 

I also tried to aligned 2 identical photos with the same luminosity and lightning, the issue remains the same: it won't align perfectly when using the Transform tool. And yes, it used to work in the past.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 26, 2020 Mar 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Alex, 

Sorry to hear you're running into this issue with the transform tool. Can you PM me the two files you have in the video you shared in this thread? 

Please also add your vote to thread Bob S. provided: https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/vertical-transform-needs-more-work-done

^Careeeesa

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 28, 2020 Mar 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Caresa,

Thanks for looking into this.

Do you want th e RAW files? Where can I PM you outside of the thread pls?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines