Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

TranslatedStrings doesn't seem to work

Explorer ,
Nov 01, 2020 Nov 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I start using the LR SDK (latest one to date - for LR10.0), and I first tried to used automatic localization with TranslatedStrings.

Actually I found discrepancies in the explanation to localize the UI of a plugin, in the LR Dev user's guide:

- In Chapter 6 "Writing a Web-engine Plug-in" (from page 118) where the Localization dictionaries are supposed to be strings\<Code>\TranslatedStrings.txt

- Later in that same chapter 6, in dedicated "Localizing the UI" paragraph" (page 127), it shows again strings\<Code>\TranslatedStrings.txt, but with a reference to Chapter 7 "Using ZStrings for Localization"

- In that Chapter 7 (from page 148), and especially in the paragraph "Localization dictionary files" (page 151) it is clearly explained that "Each translation dictionary must be in a file named TranslatedStrings_code.txt." located along with the file Info.lua

- In "Custom Metadata Sample" sample (page 164), it shows strings\<Code>\TranslatedStrings.txt (with a typo strings/en/TranslatedString.txt - without trailing "s")

My question is: which one is right.

I tried both versions, and both don't work in my case (running LR 10 in French Win10).

Thank you in advance for your help.

Regards,

Denis

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 02, 2020 Nov 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

[This post contains formatting and embedded images that don't appear in email. View the post in your Web browser.]

I don't have any experience writing Web-engine plugins, but I'm pretty sure that Chapter 6 is out-of-date.

But for plugins invoked from the File > Plug-in Extras and Library > Plug-in Extras menus, chapter 7 (148) is correct.  Page 164 is incorrect.  I just confirmed that my Fix Presets plugin is still correctly using the TranslatedStrings files:

Untitled.png

(Note the codes for Chinese, for mainland China and Taiwan.)

A number of years ago LR changed its naming conventions for the TranslatedStrings files, and the SDK Guide obviously didn't correctly updated.

[Use the blue reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines