• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Travel - how to import raw photos from iphone and DSLR to edit in a temporary LR Classic catalog?

Community Beginner ,
Aug 09, 2020 Aug 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Usually when I travel I import and edit my photos using a new LR Classic catalog on my laptop. When I return home I simply export as a catalog and import that into my LR Classic master catalog on my desktop (Windows).

I shoot raw on my iPhone and the only way I could find to transfer the raw files is via Adobe Cloud.

But I have read that it is advisable to have only ONE catalog linked to Adobe Cloud (so you shouldn't switch between catalogs). And you can only have that one catalog linked to ONE copy of LR Classic (ie on ONE computer). My question is how can I then import RAW photos from my iPhone to my travel laptop?

I want to use minimum upload/download data (so have ruled out using LR Desktop).

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 10, 2020 Aug 10, 2020

My suggestion would be to install Lightroom cloud-based app present version 3.3. Which would sync directly with your iPhone and your home computer. All the raw files you import to the laptop will synced to the cloud storage and eventually sync down to the home computer. Just a thought to consider. If you have access to LrC you will automatically have access to Lr cloud-based app.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Aug 10, 2020 Aug 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can sync one catalog to the cloud, but that one catalog could be on an external drive that is used with two computers.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to travel light (without an external drive). Maybe I could move my catalog and smart previews to a memory stick and work that way?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have not tried this, so I am just thinking out loud....

Try syncing the phone images to the travel catalog. After the images are downloaded to that hard drive, include those images with the DSLR images in the "export to catalog".

I am assuming that the iPhone images will be deleted from the Adobe Cloud when they are removed from your travel catalog and assuming that you would want this to happen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, you are correct in all you have said except that I am already syncing phone images to my LR Classic on my computer via the cloud, so I can't sync to the travel catalog as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't Connect your Phone to your Computer and COPY the RAW images from the phone to the computer using the File Manager program that comes with the OS on you computer?????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used to when my phone only shot JPG, but I can only transfer JPG files to my PC (Windows). It cannot see the RAW files. I couldn't even transfer via DropBox (only JPGs came across). Unless you know another way?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you shoot with the built-in camera app of Lightroom Mobile, then these photos will only be in Lightroom Mobile and so you cannot transfer them to your computer any other way than synchronizing.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My suggestion would be to install Lightroom cloud-based app present version 3.3. Which would sync directly with your iPhone and your home computer. All the raw files you import to the laptop will synced to the cloud storage and eventually sync down to the home computer. Just a thought to consider. If you have access to LrC you will automatically have access to Lr cloud-based app.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 11, 2020 Aug 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, the only way I can access my iPhone RAW photos is to use the LR Cloud-based app on the laptop BUT I don't want to store images in the cloud because I have limited space. So my plan now is to use the LR Cloud-based app to download the iPhone photos to a folder on the laptop. I also plan to run LR Classic with a new catalog just for the holiday photos. I set it up to watch that folder where I've downloaded my iPhone photos. I also want to import images from SD card (taken on a mirrorless camera) and manage the whole travel catalog offline.
I think that will work.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines