Highlighted

Trouble seeing and editing a previously created mask in Lightroom CC

New Here ,
May 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

on a jpg I created a mask in lightroom, then applied some adjustment brushes and gradient filters -- I exported the jpg to a new jpg. I printed the new image and realized my original mask was not precise in one location.

I went back in lightroom and the newer exported jpg still visually has all my adjustments BUT in the history panel there is nothing and I cannot see or edit any of the previous changes including the mask (yes I have tried all the always view options etc) So my thought was maybe the exported version doesn't save anything

BUT when I went to my original file it also has nothing in the history and none of my manipulations are visible.

Is there anyway to get back to my adjustmants or does the export clear both the original and the new ?

is this a start over type of thing ?

Is there a better method than exporting after adjustments,  to print images but also maintain ability for furter editing ?

Topics

How to, Import and export, Problem or error, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Trouble seeing and editing a previously created mask in Lightroom CC

New Here ,
May 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

on a jpg I created a mask in lightroom, then applied some adjustment brushes and gradient filters -- I exported the jpg to a new jpg. I printed the new image and realized my original mask was not precise in one location.

I went back in lightroom and the newer exported jpg still visually has all my adjustments BUT in the history panel there is nothing and I cannot see or edit any of the previous changes including the mask (yes I have tried all the always view options etc) So my thought was maybe the exported version doesn't save anything

BUT when I went to my original file it also has nothing in the history and none of my manipulations are visible.

Is there anyway to get back to my adjustmants or does the export clear both the original and the new ?

is this a start over type of thing ?

Is there a better method than exporting after adjustments,  to print images but also maintain ability for furter editing ?

Topics

How to, Import and export, Problem or error, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
WobertC LATEST
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First question- Which Lightroom? Which Version Number?

Comments-

-In Lightroom 'Masks' are a visual 'Overlay' that 'save' with a Local Adjustment Pin (only in the Catalog History)

-Overlays are specific to a Brush or Gradient (marked with a 'Pin' dot on the image).

-Exported files are totally NEW files- all Lr edits to the 'original' are 'burnt in' by the export process.

-If an exported file is imported to Lr it will NOT have any History of Develop steps. (Its a new file!)

-Only by returning to the Original jpg that was edited will you see the edit history.

when I went to my original file it also has nothing in the history and none of my manipulations are visible.

It should have a History, unless you 'Cleared' it, or you are not looking at the correct image. And you need a Tool active to be able to see the Pin adjustments (the dots & overlays) that were made with that tool.

Is there a better method than exporting after adjustments, to print images but also maintain ability for further editing ?

Yes, -only ever edit the Original file. Make Virtual Copies for different versions with different edits. Only Export a derivative file when needed to send out to a commercial printer, or social media, etc. Keeping and storing exported files is not necessary as the export from original can be repeated at any time.

Regards. My System: Lr-Classic 9.4, Lightroom 3.4, Photoshop 2020 (21.2.1), Nikon DSLR, Windows-10.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines