• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Trouble with 10.0 and that new previews are build

Community Beginner ,
Oct 28, 2020 Oct 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yesterday when I open Lightrom Classic it said thar I needed to build a new catalog.
I did but when I then opened Lightroom all my pictures was "empty". I have all my photos on an external drive that was connected so the photos wasnt missing, only the preview of them (see attached screenprint).

I need to scroll trough the catalogue picture by picture and when I do that the empty photos gets a preview. There is no way I can scrll trugh 60 000 pictures manually. I've been in contact with adobe online but they was unable to help me and told me that this is the right way. I don't trust them and Im sure that Adobe is smarter than that. Some people got 200 000 in their cataloges, no way that they will scroll manually trugh all those photos to get previews of them.

This is a translation from Swedish of the text when Lightroom wanted me to create a new catalog:
"Your lightroom catalog needs to upgrade to get access to the latest changes in this newer version of Lightroom Classic. During the upgrade of the catalog it will create a copy of your old catalog and that one (.lrcat) will remain intact. Your previews will also be transformed to this place and convert to be used".

Im running macOS Catalina 10.15.7 on a MacBook pro 15" from 2016.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The new catalog wants to build new preview files.

You could probably copy the old preview folder to the new name and see if that bypasses the need to create new previews.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 29, 2020 Oct 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually the upgrade process renames the Previews folder to the name of the new catalog file so the one for the older catalog is gone unless you made a backup of it prior to the catalog upgrade.

My Comment below about needing previews was simple.

You only need preview for image files you are currently browsing and actually working on.

There is No Need to Scroll through All your images and to create preview for all of them.

The screen shot below shows images that have No previews and are from 2012. If I'm not actually working on those 8 year old image files there is No Good reason to create previews of them.

To save hard drive space, SSD space, I regularly delete the Previews folder and let LrC re-create it and only make previews for newly imported images that I will actually be working on.

If I want to View past images I select the Year, Month, Day folder they are in and at that time LrC will build preview for only those images.

Again there is NO GOOD Reason to Scroll through all of your images.

2020-10-29 08_41_18-LrC V10 Catalog - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic - Library.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 29, 2020 Oct 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good to know about the preview folder rename!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 30, 2020 Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, we are not agree there because I need previews every time I want to scroll to my catalog to se which photo I want to edit or export. I'm working with old photos so that wouldn't work for me even though it's a good idea for some people.

For me I have no idea which photo to click on because every photo is gray which is very frustrating. I need previews for every year 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You only need Previews of Files you are actually going to View and Work on.

My Catalog is the same and I think Everyone else is the same.

There is No need to have LrC build previews for All your images files. So Stop Scrolling through your images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course you need to see your previews, those are essential to working with LRC or ANY catalog system.

Question: is this an issue of time? I also keep my images on an external hard drive (and the catalog and all of the Preview image files) and depending on a variety of things it may take some time for the full set of Previews to build. So, when you go to a folder in your catalog, is it an issue that if you just let it alone the images do build or only if you click on the image does the preview build?

Thanks, let us know

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No the images aren't building the previews itself. I need to scroll through the images (the gray square). I need to look at every gray photo to make it a picture. This is so frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the future, So people don't have to download the image you have attached, please use the Insert Photos icon found in the Tool Bar of the Post and Reply text entry dialog window as pictured below.
Since you Can't Edit your original post to remove the Attached screen shot Please include the screen shot you attached to a new reply to this conversation by clicking the Blue Reply button under your original post and use the Insert Photos icon in the tool bar.
The Insert Photos icon is this one in the Tool Bar.

2020-10-06 16_53_14-2020-10-06 - Adobe Support Community_Updated.png
Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh sorry, I've searched for that and actually was tho king the photo was attached in the proper way. My bad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines