• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Trying to figure out soft proofing, external website, and printing from the websit through a pro lab

Participant ,
Nov 20, 2020 Nov 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am confused, I have LR Classic, a calibrated NEC PA272W moniter.  I am also building a new website with a shopping cart using a integrated pro-lab for printing.  Everything has been going great, LR works flawless, the images look amazing on my local montor and on the new website.

I just received my test prints from the pro-lab and see a blue color cast.  I called the pro lab and they said to download their ICC file and use LR soft proofing to adjust the images for printing.  I have dug for hours and am just gettng more frustrated. 

I see as soon as I start to edit with soft proof checked a LR screen pops up. 

amsoil-man_0-1605925515881.png

Ok, undo is very clear but "Make this a Proof"?  I did that on one image now I have the file name and the icc profile name across the top of the screen and I cannot figure a way to get rid of the ICC part.  If I export the file it exports just the original file name.

The create a proof is clear as that is a virtual copy of the original.

So the million dollar question, HOW do I use the LR soft proofing to end up with an image that looks good on the webpage and if a customers selects the image to buy be assured the print is accurte.  I have to be able to end up with one image that presents on the web page as well as prints well through the integrated printer..  Seems I would need the original file uploaded for viewing and the virtual soft proofed copy for printing but there is not way to upload one file for viewing and another file for printing.

Can anyone please help me get this figured out.  

thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 21, 2020 Nov 21, 2020

Proofing is to check for gamut clipping.

A color cast is something else entirely, and if you have sent them files with an embedded profile, it's clear that the error is on their part. Proof has nothing to do with this.

That said, make sure your calibration is good and that your monitor profiles aren't defective in any way.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Nov 21, 2020 Nov 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are using a pro lab like Miller's they will send you a set of proofs that you can use as a test to set up your color profiles end to end. You should always check the option to allow the lab to make adjustments if necessary. If the prints are objectionable you ought to be able to reject them.  You should not use Soft proof to correct images being viewed on the website. The  purpose of soft proof is to emulate the results on  paper with the proper icc settings for paper type and paper finish, matte, glossy, satin etc. and  this works well especially when you are  printing on your own printer. When you send  your  images  to the lab they should print like they look on the screen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are saying exactly what I was thinking, infact my current website that I am using does in fact use Millers and I never had any issues, the prints have been fabulous, and that was with "color correction OFF".  I am switching to a different host as my current host features just does not make it, thy are more focused on those working wth clients not the scenic, wildlife, lanscape etc..  As a result it has been a total failure.

The new host uses Bay, I was stunned at a blue colorcast on the evauation prints, the very same images I had used with millers, no changes.  I wanted an true comparison.

I called them and the customer service guy insisted I go down the rabbit hole of soft proofing which makes no sense to me.  I have emailed ther support and not received any response.  Looks like I will have to invest more money and reorder the eval prints with allowing them to "color correction ON" and see how that works out.  My concern there is what will happen to prints where I put an artistic flair, maybe over saturate a color, on purpose that I do not want adjusted to their liking.  I'm between a rock and a hard spot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Proofing is to check for gamut clipping.

A color cast is something else entirely, and if you have sent them files with an embedded profile, it's clear that the error is on their part. Proof has nothing to do with this.

That said, make sure your calibration is good and that your monitor profiles aren't defective in any way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You are correct, thanks for the feedback.  I have a NEC PA272W and a Thunderbolt display.  The NEC is calibrated with the Xrite colorimeter that came with the monitor.  The thunderbolt is calibrated with a colorminki.  the colors between both monitors are spot on, match perfectly so I know my calibration is good.

I totally agree "A color cast is something else entirely, and if you have sent them files with an embedded profile, it's clear that the error is on their part. Proof has nothing to do with this.".  Hopefully I can get a resolved with them so I can release my new site with the new features.  Thanks for replying, you said exactly what I have always believed, I never dreamed I would have a printing issues with a pro lab, never have but never used these guys either. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines