• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Trying to install previous Lightroom on PC

Community Beginner ,
Jun 12, 2021 Jun 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all - I am using Windows 10 PC. I tried to upgrade to latest Lightroom (v 10) but my PC won't run it. Keeps stopping etc. I tried to re-install an older version but that says I have to upgrade my catalogue, which sounds ominous. I don't even know which version I used to have.

Pete

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jun 12, 2021 Jun 12, 2021

Hi Peter,

First a question: where are you getting thie "older" version to re-install? You can download two versions back from the Adobe Creative Cloud app but be aware that eventually you will need to update your computer and/or software so that you can continue to run newer versions of LRC.

Otherwise, every so often, the Adobe folks make changes to how LRC works and that requires an update as to how the Catalog is written. That's what was referred to when you have to "upgrade" your catalog.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND , Jun 12, 2021 Jun 12, 2021

If you are being told that the catalog needs to be upgraded, that would indicate that you were running an older version previously. Upgrading a catalog is really a seamless operation. Simply agree or allow Lightroom to do the upgrade. That's all there is to it. The upgrade process will create a new copy all your catalog, leaving the old version completely intact. Once the conversion or upgrade is complete Lightroom will start and the program will continue right where you left off previously. The

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

First a question: where are you getting thie "older" version to re-install? You can download two versions back from the Adobe Creative Cloud app but be aware that eventually you will need to update your computer and/or software so that you can continue to run newer versions of LRC.

Otherwise, every so often, the Adobe folks make changes to how LRC works and that requires an update as to how the Catalog is written. That's what was referred to when you have to "upgrade" your catalog. The good news is that that means there is a bunch of new features for you to take advantage of the bad news is that these updates are not backwards transferable. So if you do update your catalog, you cannot open that catalog with an earlier version of LRC.

If you are at all concerned about this, simply make a copy of your current catalog, and store it some place safe. Then update to the new LRC and try it out. Once your satisfied that everything is fine, you can delete your old catalog.

Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Gary. All sorted now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are being told that the catalog needs to be upgraded, that would indicate that you were running an older version previously. Upgrading a catalog is really a seamless operation. Simply agree or allow Lightroom to do the upgrade. That's all there is to it. The upgrade process will create a new copy all your catalog, leaving the old version completely intact. Once the conversion or upgrade is complete Lightroom will start and the program will continue right where you left off previously. The new catalog will have the same name as the old one, except it will have a -10 added to its name. That's all there is to it, nothing to worry about really.

Incidentally, I use Lightroom Classic on a Windows 10 PC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Jim - I did as you suggested and it's now working perfectly. Thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 10 will run Lightroom Classic 10, millions of Lightroom Classic users can confirm that.

Instead of installing an "unknown" earlier version of Lightroom or Lightroom Classic, why don't you describe exactly what you are doing and exactly what happens, in detail, when you have the problems. This might allow you to get Lightroom Classic 10 to run. To me that's the better solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines