• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to access photos

New Here ,
Feb 15, 2020 Feb 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an issue with my files/photos not being located. including the ones i have already edited in Lightroom Classic. This i causing me to have to delete the photos and re-uploading them to lightroom. losing all of my edits in the process. This happens at random and effects all of my photos in Lightroom. I can see the photos, but I am unable to edit or do anything else with them. 
 Any Advice?

image.pngimage.pngimage.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 16, 2020 Feb 16, 2020

In your screen-clips All your photos appear to be 'Missing' showing the ! icon. (the Lr term for files that are not in the folder location that LR has in the catalog).

http://www.computer-darkroom.com/lr2_find_folder/find-folder.htm

After you Import these files are you using File Explorer in any way on the imported folders of images? (Rename, move, delete, etc)

And Re-importing, or Synchronizing a Folder, will for sure lose all your editing work previously done! Do NOT re-import!!

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Feb 15, 2020 Feb 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mac or Windows? Which version of the OS?

Which exact version of Lightroom?

Go to the Library grid, right-click on the image and select "goto image in Folders" and again "show image in Finder/Explorer".

Does the Folder location look correct?

Is the file still on disk?

Where are the files supposed to be? (Internal drive, external drive, network drive?)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Feb 16, 2020 Feb 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Post a screen shot of the Library window so we could see where LR is looking for the photos.

I see you're on Windows 10. Are by any chance your photos stored on an external hard drive? If it's the case this could explain what's happening. When connecting an external storage (key, drive; smartphone, etc.), Windows  assign a drive letter to it. This letter (D, E, F...) is part of the path to access the files on the storage. The problem is that when you connect the drive, Windows assigns the first available letter in alphbetical order. So, if your drive was connected as "D", the path to access the files on it is D:\<folder>\... But, if the next time you connect it there is a usb key alredy connected, windows having already assign D to the key will assign E to the EHD, and the path to acces its file will become E:\<Folder>\...

Since LR records the path in the catalog, this behavior may cause LR to not being able to access the photos.

To avoid this problem, I suggest to manually assign a letter far away ("P", for instance) to your EHD. That way, each time you connect your EHD it'll be assigned the letter P, unless all preceding letters are already assigned (which is unlikely!).

Of course, after having assign the letter, open LR, right clic on root folder of your photo and select "Reseach the missing folder". Browse to the folder on your EHD and select it. LR will update the path to all the photos under tah folder with the drive letter you've just assign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Instead of showing us a screenshot of the Develop Modle, show the Library module, We need to see the Folders Panel, and be in grid view.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In your screen-clips All your photos appear to be 'Missing' showing the ! icon. (the Lr term for files that are not in the folder location that LR has in the catalog).

http://www.computer-darkroom.com/lr2_find_folder/find-folder.htm

After you Import these files are you using File Explorer in any way on the imported folders of images? (Rename, move, delete, etc)

And Re-importing, or Synchronizing a Folder, will for sure lose all your editing work previously done! Do NOT re-import!!

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 17, 2020 Feb 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
This has resolved the issue and recovered my photos. Thank you very much
for your insight and help!

I was actually unaware of the icons saying there was something wrong with
the photos, and how easy it actually was to relocate the files.

Thanks again
Caleb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines