Exit

Unable to delete photos from disk

Community Beginner ,
Nov 28, 2020 Nov 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

this used to work fine, now it doesn't.

I flagged pictures with x in order to mark them reject. I then press Ctrl Backspace, or, select "Delete Selected Photos" under the Photo menu.

But after doing so I am NOT asked if I want the pictures deleted from the disk, I am only asked if I want to remove them from the collection.

I have already restarted lightroom a few times and restarted the computer a number of time, it doesn't help. The problem is equalliy present in library and develop modes. I can't delete any pictures from the disk via lightroom, when this used to work before. I made no conscious changes to the program settings.

Does anybody know what causes this, and how to fix this?

Thanks!

DB831_1-1606599036234.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Nov 29, 2020 Nov 29, 2020

As stated, you can't delete directly from a collection (except with the somewhat dangerous splat delete). To delete a photo (or more than one photo), you need to click on All Photographs, OR click on the folder that contains the photo, and then do the delete.

2020-11-29 09_42_06-Window.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are inside a collection in Lightroom Classic. This message is the correct behavior.

If you want to delete a photo from the Catalog (and optionally also from the hard disk), you need to select "All Photographs" or a specific folder in Lightroom Classic, and then delete.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. May I ask where else I could be in order to delete pictures this way? I always import pictures and then put them in a collection, and then delete the ones I don't want. Is this not how it works? I don't want them all deleted, just the ones flagged x.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Look in the Folder panel. When you view photos in folders you can delete them from the disk.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 29, 2020 Nov 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

And the flagging shows up in the folder too. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As stated, you can't delete directly from a collection (except with the somewhat dangerous splat delete). To delete a photo (or more than one photo), you need to click on All Photographs, OR click on the folder that contains the photo, and then do the delete.

2020-11-29 09_42_06-Window.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can delete pictures in a collection using CTRL + ALT + SHIFT + DEL keys (Splat Delete).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Splat delete is immediate and there is no confirmation dialog box. Use with caution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Todd thanks. This does work. Just deletes it, no "are you sure" dialogue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As dj_paige said use with care! If you do it accidentally you can restore the files form your recyle bin ot trash, but you will lose your edits unless saved to XMP.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines