Highlighted

Unable to import a SELECTION from ViewNX to Lightroom anymore.

Community Beginner ,
May 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was my preferred workflow. As a Nikon shooter shooting RAW, the NEFs that it produces are easier to preview, sort, and label in Nikon's ViewNX 2 software. I would always preview the NEFs and sort and label (pick/flag) them for import to LR.  I would always be able to make a selection of 1-100+ NEFs in ViewNX and then right-click > Open with > Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic. And once the Import window loads BOOM all my selections that were made in ViewNX are PRE SELECTED for import into LR. 

However...

Something happened a few days ago where that 'communication' between software is now not happening. I don't know if its due to an update or just a bug... I'm currently trying to reinstall both LR and ViewNX to see if it fixes the issue, or installing a previous version of LR to see if that was the issue. 

TOPICS
Bug, Import and export, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Unable to import a SELECTION from ViewNX to Lightroom anymore.

Community Beginner ,
May 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was my preferred workflow. As a Nikon shooter shooting RAW, the NEFs that it produces are easier to preview, sort, and label in Nikon's ViewNX 2 software. I would always preview the NEFs and sort and label (pick/flag) them for import to LR.  I would always be able to make a selection of 1-100+ NEFs in ViewNX and then right-click > Open with > Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic. And once the Import window loads BOOM all my selections that were made in ViewNX are PRE SELECTED for import into LR. 

However...

Something happened a few days ago where that 'communication' between software is now not happening. I don't know if its due to an update or just a bug... I'm currently trying to reinstall both LR and ViewNX to see if it fixes the issue, or installing a previous version of LR to see if that was the issue. 

TOPICS
Bug, Import and export, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
May 29, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
May 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aha! after steps backwards it appears that the FEATURE was accidentally removed when there was an update from 9.1 to 9.1 
( I before 2 days ago I had not updated LR since probably Oct or Nov 2019 )

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 29, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have never considered nor heard of that method of using ViewNX as preparatory software for importing to Lightroom. In fact, in the past that Nikon software has been known to render NEF files such that Lightroom was not able to import them until they were repaired. I use Nikon cameras, but I don't use ViewNX as any part of workflow. It isn't necessary, and doesn't add any benefit to the workflow, in my opinion.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 29, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
May 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It speeds up my workflow and is how we did it on base in the CAF. I make all my selections 

Workflow:

• Copy ALL photos from card to Folder on Drive. (i don't use LR to import from a card)
  • Use ViewNX to preview all the photos on my PC and assign a rating/colour. (also could add Meta / IPTC data)
  • Sort photos by rating/colour, Select all, Open using PS LR CC
  • LR automatically launches, opens Import window and checks all photos that i had selected in ViewNX
  • Develop only the raw files I need in LR

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 30, 2020 0
May 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nikon ViewNX2 is very old software. This is not necessarily a problem if your cameras are similarly old. However, Nikon Transfer has a habit of slightly corrupting NEF files when the Transfer software is older than the camera.

Never tried any communication between ViewNX2 or the newer ViewNXi and Lightroom Classic. Interesting that it worked like you wanted it to.

I, too, do a bunch of sorting and triage of my NEF files before importing them into Lightroom. I use ACDSee to sort the files into grade A and grade B using file folders. The grade A files are imported for further triage, the grade B get deleted.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 30, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
May 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use ViewNX 2 because that's what I'm used to and it works, never had an issue with it.

Its the workflow that we used on base as an Image Technicians and I find it better than my old workflow. (pre 2016)

Its worked with everything from a D2X up to a D5 and everything in between (D750, D800, D7000)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 30, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Jun 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also it appears the VeiwNXi was only released a few months ago.. Had no clue about it. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 09, 2020 0
May 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I respectfully suggest to change your habits, adopt a new workflow!

1) Import with Lightroom-Classic

2) Rate & Flag in Lightroom

3) Edit in Lightroom

"Boom"- Done! 

No more fussing with ViewNX.

And update to v9.2.1

Regards. My System: Lr-Classic 10.0, Photoshop 22.0, Lightroom 4.0, Windows-10. Nikon DSLR.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 30, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Jun 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Lightroom Classic previewing NEF files on the import screen is slow AF and If I hold down the right arrow to skip a few shot it lags out and skips more than a few dozen. I shoot primarily as a photojournalist so I shoot hundreds of shots of a scene and usually only pick less than 30 to 'edit' The workflow of using ViewNX is much much faster and less frustrating to me than having LR lag. I use to use that old workflow but prefer the ViewNX workflow. 

Thanks but No Thanks. 

Untill LR Classic's preview isn't laggy ill continue to sort thru photos with View NX

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 03, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Jun 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh and my setup is this:
CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K @ 4.8Ghz
GPU: ASUS ROG - RTX 2060 OC
Mobo: MSI Z370 A-Pro
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 4x8GB 3200
Boot-drive: Kingston A400 480GB SSD
Storage: Samsung 480 SSD
Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 612 V2
PSU: EVGA 650 B3

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 03, 2020 0
Jao vdL LATEST
Jun 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The way to do selection workflow fast in Lightroom is to import all images (i.e. do not use the import screen for this - it doesn't work because it wasn't meant for this purpose) using embedded and sidecar previews (see screenshot below). Do not build smart previews or standard previews. You can then fly through your images in Library and do a normal downselect using flags (P, X) or using the quick collection (hit B) and lightroom will just use the jpeg previews that are built in to the NEF files and not waste time generating previews for all the files you won't really develop anyway.  This will give you a sub collection of images that you can then choose to edit using develop. This will be much faster than using ViewNX as a preselection tool in the way you have been. I regularly dig down into hundreds to thousands of imports this way and this works fine and fast. Key to the speed is to not let Lightroom generate any previews but to only use the embedded previews. This is functionally what viewNX does by the way - it never looks at the raw data but uses the embedded jpeg previews. You can even apply a default set of keywords (i.e. event or location keywords) that all images in the import get automatically.

I am extremely wary of using any Nikon tool to touch my files as I was bitten years ago by the corruption bug mentioned above. That said, it probably should be noted to Adobe (use https://feedback.photoshop.com) that a recent update introduced a bug with sending multiple images to Classic for import from other software. What you describe should work. 

Screen Shot 2020-06-28 at 8.23.06 AM.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 28, 2020 0
Jun 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I completely understand your desire to do the initial triage of your images outside of Lightroom due to speed issues. I do the same thing using ACDSee.

What surprises us is that you ever got Nikon ViewNX to do the selection thing with Lightroom. It also does not surprise us that a recent update to Lightroom no longer works the same way.

As a workaround, try using ViewNX to move your "keepers" into a separate folder -- I call mine "A" and "B" for grade A and grade B photos -- and then use Lightroom to import the photos in the "keepers" folder.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 04, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Jun 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its the way I was taugh when I was with The Army Imaging Techs,

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 27, 2020 0