Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to import new .xmp preset into Lightroom 7.3

Community Beginner ,
May 24, 2018 May 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

My friend has made a new preset for me in Lightroom 7.3 (so is only a .xmp file, no .lrtemplate file) and sent it to me, but when I try to import it into my 7.3 (via the Adobe > Camera Raw > Settings > folder), it isn't showing in Lightroom at all. I'm using a Mac.

Please let me know if I'm doing something wrong, or if the .xmp preset is supposed to be stored somewhere else. If someone could help me solve this, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jun 05, 2018 Jun 05, 2018

That preset uses the profile Adobe Standard, so it will appear for both JPEGs and raws.  It successfully imported into my LR. Try doing what I did:

1. Place a copy of the .xmp file on your Desktop.

2. Click the "+" on the right side of the Presets panel and selecting Import Preset(s):

3. The preset appears in the User Presets group:

Note that the preset may not appear in the proper alphabetical order due to the notorious LR 7.3 bugs. So scan the entire list in User Presets for the preset.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't import an .xmp file

Presets cannot be .xmp, presets are .lrtemplate.

Whatever your friend sent as .xmp cannot be used as a preset.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think dj_paige got confused by versions -- starting with LR 7.3, presets are stored as .xmp files.  Old presets in the .lrtemplate format are converted to .xmp format.

but when I try to import it into my 7.3 (via the Adobe > Camera Raw > Settings > folder), it isn't showing in Lightroom at all. I'm using a Mac.

Are you editing a JPEG or a raw?  Edit a raw file and see if the preset appears in the Presets panel. (There is a LR misfeature/bug where some presets only show for raw files.)

Please share the preset here: Open the .xmp file in a text editor (e.g. TextEdit or Notepad) and copy and paste its contents here.  Then we can determine authoritatively what's going on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 05, 2018 Jun 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi johnrellis,

Thanks for the reply! They are all RAW files but nothing is showing.

Here is the contents of the .XMP file:

<x:xmpmeta xmlns:x="adobe:ns:meta/" x:xmptk="Adobe XMP Core 5.6-c140 79.160451, 2017/05/06-01:08:21        ">

<rdf:RDF xmlns:rdf="http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#">

<rdf:Description rdf:about=""

xmlns:crs="http://ns.adobe.com/camera-raw-settings/1.0/"

crs:PresetType="Normal"

crs:Cluster=""

crs:UUID="A0583C1C631FEDEEBC9BCE479D327930"

crs:SupportsAmount="False"

crs:SupportsColor="True"

crs:SupportsMonochrome="True"

crs:SupportsHighDynamicRange="True"

crs:SupportsNormalDynamicRange="True"

crs:SupportsSceneReferred="True"

crs:SupportsOutputReferred="True"

crs:CameraModelRestriction=""

crs:Copyright=""

crs:ContactInfo=""

crs:Version="10.3"

crs:ProcessVersion="10.0"

crs:WhiteBalance="As Shot"

crs:Sharpness="0"

crs:LuminanceSmoothing="0"

crs:ColorNoiseReduction="25"

crs:VignetteAmount="0"

crs:ShadowTint="0"

crs:RedHue="0"

crs:RedSaturation="0"

crs:GreenHue="0"

crs:GreenSaturation="0"

crs:BlueHue="0"

crs:BlueSaturation="0"

crs:GrayMixerRed="0"

crs:GrayMixerOrange="0"

crs:GrayMixerYellow="0"

crs:GrayMixerGreen="0"

crs:GrayMixerAqua="0"

crs:GrayMixerBlue="0"

crs:GrayMixerPurple="0"

crs:GrayMixerMagenta="0"

crs:SplitToningShadowHue="0"

crs:SplitToningShadowSaturation="0"

crs:SplitToningHighlightHue="0"

crs:SplitToningHighlightSaturation="0"

crs:SplitToningBalance="0"

crs:ParametricShadows="+47"

crs:ParametricDarks="-62"

crs:ParametricLights="+51"

crs:ParametricHighlights="-78"

crs:ParametricShadowSplit="18"

crs:ParametricMidtoneSplit="40"

crs:ParametricHighlightSplit="88"

crs:SharpenRadius="+1.0"

crs:SharpenDetail="25"

crs:SharpenEdgeMasking="0"

crs:PostCropVignetteAmount="0"

crs:GrainAmount="0"

crs:ColorNoiseReductionDetail="50"

crs:ColorNoiseReductionSmoothness="50"

crs:LensProfileEnable="0"

crs:LensManualDistortionAmount="0"

crs:AutoLateralCA="0"

crs:Exposure2012="0.00"

crs:Contrast2012="+27"

crs:Highlights2012="-21"

crs:Shadows2012="+18"

crs:Whites2012="-10"

crs:Blacks2012="+30"

crs:Clarity2012="+20"

crs:Dehaze="0"

crs:ConvertToGrayscale="True"

crs:OverrideLookVignette="False"

crs:ToneCurveName2012="Custom"

crs:CameraProfile="Adobe Standard"

crs:HasSettings="True">

<crs:Name>

<rdf:Alt>

<rdf:li xml:lang="x-default">StephanieKasllyb+w</rdf:li>

</rdf:Alt>

</crs:Name>

<crs:ShortName>

<rdf:li xml:lang="x-default"/>

</crs:ShortName>

<crs:SortName>

</crs:SortName>

<crs:Group>

<rdf:li xml:lang="x-default">User Presets</rdf:li>

</crs:Group>

<crs:Description>

</crs:Description>

<crs:ToneCurvePV2012>

<rdf:Seq>

<rdf:li>0, 0</rdf:li>

<rdf:li>255, 255</rdf:li>

</rdf:Seq>

</crs:ToneCurvePV2012>

<crs:ToneCurvePV2012Red>

<rdf:li>30, 27</rdf:li>

<rdf:li>72, 77</rdf:li>

<rdf:li>122, 130</rdf:li>

<rdf:li>171, 179</rdf:li>

<rdf:li>230, 234</rdf:li>

</crs:ToneCurvePV2012Red>

<crs:ToneCurvePV2012Green>

</crs:ToneCurvePV2012Green>

<crs:ToneCurvePV2012Blue>

</crs:ToneCurvePV2012Blue>

<crs:Look

crs:Name=""/>

</rdf:Description>

</rdf:RDF>

</x:xmpmeta>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 05, 2018 Jun 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That preset uses the profile Adobe Standard, so it will appear for both JPEGs and raws.  It successfully imported into my LR. Try doing what I did:

1. Place a copy of the .xmp file on your Desktop.

2. Click the "+" on the right side of the Presets panel and selecting Import Preset(s):

3. The preset appears in the User Presets group:

Note that the preset may not appear in the proper alphabetical order due to the notorious LR 7.3 bugs. So scan the entire list in User Presets for the preset.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 07, 2018 Jun 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are a genius!! Thank you so much, this has been bugging me for ages!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 14, 2018 Jun 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I´m having the same problem. i tried the proposed solution, but my preset is still not appearing in the User Presets Group. =(

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 15, 2018 Jun 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you editing a raw or a JPEG?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 15, 2018 Jun 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I received another .XMP preset from another friend, and it didn't appear in the User Preset group either. Instead, Lightroom created an group named exactly the same is it is on her computer - on hers the group is called 01. Colour Preset, so it created a 01. Colour Preset group in my Lightroom too, containing the preset she sent!

It's written into the metadata. I only noticed it because it jumped straight to the top of the preset list! You might have to search through every Group you have, but it should be there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 28, 2018 Aug 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too am having this issue. But it's far more fundamental. I can't even create new presets, they save, and nowhere to be found. And I can't import .xmp presets or profiles. No amount of copying and pasting into the folders seems to work either

I am on a new computer, new lightroom Classic, new Lightroom CC. Something very odd is going on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After a little more digging. I have found that the cause in my particular instance is .xmp profiles embedded into a preset. Removing them from the preset and everything operates as it should. But no profile. I don't yet know the reasons behind why the particular profiles I am using wont work in CC. Happy to share my findings if asked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After a little more digging. I have found that the cause in my particular instance is .xmp profiles embedded into a preset. Removing them from the preset and everything operates as it should. But no profile. I don't yet know the reasons behind why the particular profiles I am using wont work in CC. Happy to share my findings if asked.

Sharing profiles and presets between LR Classic and LR CC is a little tricky.  See this article for how to do it: https://www.lightroomqueen.com/sync-presets-profiles-lightroom-classic-mobile/ . From your short summary, the first thing that comes to mind is that LR CC doesn't have access to the profiles that are named in your presets.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 17, 2018 Sep 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue, except I paid for a preset bundle and then followed all of the instructions to import the XMP files into Lightroom Classic (including copying preset XMP files into the Adobe Camera Raw > Settings folder).  Yet, the XMP files do not show up. lrtemplate files still work for me, but XMP files do not.  I have no updates available for Lightroom so I assume everything is up to date. So annoying!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some have found that "no updates available" is not always correct.

Post a screen-clip of your Lightroom System Info to confirm your Lr Version.

LR Menu: HELP > SYSTEM INFO...

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh wow that was actually the issue, I was in fact using the wrong lightroom. I was using Lightroom version: CC 2015.14 but now I am on Lightroom Classic version: 7.5 ,and the presets loaded! Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I paid for a preset bundle and then followed all of the instructions to import the XMP files into Lightroom Classic (including copying preset XMP files into the Adobe Camera Raw > Settings folder).  Yet, the XMP files do not show up.

Some things to check:

1. Look inside every group (folder) in Develop's Preset panel. Look carefully, especially if you have versions 7.3 or 7.4, which would not always order presets alphabetically.

2. Triple-check you are actually editing a raw rather than a JPEG or TIFF. Due to a confusing design misfeature, many presets will only appear when editing raws. (You'd be surprised how many people think they're editing a raw, when in fact their camera setting got reset somehow.)

3. Perhaps you imported profiles rather than develop presets. They both have the extension ".xmp".  But profiles appear in the Profile browser in the Basic panel of Develop.  Click here to open the browser:

Alternatively, post a link to the presets/profiles you bought, and it should be clear from that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in fact their camera setting got reset somehow.

A case in point:

My Canon G1x: I like to shoot in raw with

rogram mode.

If I turn the mode dial to uto (can happen accidentally in the bag!) then the camera resets to JPG only.

Turning the mode dial back to

rogram does not reset the file-type to raw. It has to be deliberately changed back to raw.

Annoying!

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 13, 2020 Nov 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for the information.  It works exactly as you said.  Fantastac!   That was problem that was an annoyance for me.

Now all I have to do is find a way to move  the folder.  I Will try that next time.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines