Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to make PRESET for JPEG + RAW.

Explorer ,
Nov 23, 2020 Nov 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, 

This is a serious issue and I'm pretty frustrated. I have downloaded Presets from creators using the DNG copy method and it copies fine to both JPEG + RAW photos. I can create a preset from that DNG and it looks the same on both RAW + JPEG. However, I am UNABLE to replicate this. I have tried creating a preset on a JPEG and when I copy those settings to a RAW image, nothing matches. I'm using Lightroom CC + Mobile. I would prefer not to use Lightroom Classic. 

My ultimate goal is to be able to make my own presets but if I can't make any that are compatible with RAW + JPEG, there's no use for me. 

This is my girlfriend and a JPEG image that I made: 

1.PNG

However, If I copy these settings onto my RAW image, it does not even look close to the same? WHAT IS GOING ON?

22.PNG

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem with presets that should work for raw and jpeg is that you should not include things that aren't the same on raw and jpeg. A raw file has a special raw profile, and it has a white balance setting. A jpeg file has these 'baked in', so you can not use the same profile (you will only get 'Color') and you can only add a white balance correction. Leave these two things out of your preset and the adjustments should match much better.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the prompt reply.

I have left the "profile" out when I create the preset and it still shows up differently. The RAW Photo is darker. I have seen workarounds but this one I cannot wrap my brain around.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In-camera JPGs have undergone manufacturer-proprietary contrast and colour processing, and enhancements / corrections of other kinds, depending on the in-camera image settings that were in force. Any adjustment applied in LrC must happen on top of that - can ONLY constitute a tweak, to an otherwise pre-established presentation.

The Raw sensor data (which is what Lightroom Classic is working from) lacks all such prior processing and the camera manufacturer-proprietary image settings are disregarded. Hence the contrast and colour etc parameters applied to a Raw need to BOTH establish AND tweak a picture presentation.

Taking a food analogy: the total amount of salt used to cook something from scratch ingredients through to serving, is typically different than the amount of salt used to adjust the seasoning for a dish which has already been cooked to recipe.

A JPG-specific preset may apply just a pinch of further 'salt', on top of some basic 'seasoning' carried out in-camera.

A Raw-specific preset must supply the recipe's amount, plus this further pinch, of 'salt' - in order to deliver the same level of 'saltiness' in the final output.

However if you flatten your in-camera image settings deliberately, to deliver a bland and dull result which looks quite close to your 'zeroed' default Raw conversion - then a common preset might be developed which adds an appropriate amount of 'salt' to suit either file type equally. At this point one might question bothering with the JPG at all - but that is a separate discussion...!

On the other hand, a preset which applies "a squeeze of lemon juice at the table" - a visual garnish of some kind, like split toning, a vignette effect or whatever - will naturally work the same onto either file type. That's an added tweak "for serving".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The screenshots (and post text) do make it clear that this question is for "Lightroom", not "Lightroom Classic" - but that is easily missed when a post is within the Classic forum. That said, most comments should apply equally on this particular subject.

The term "Lightroom CC" is potentially confusing too FYI, since there was a version of what is now called "Lightroom Classic", which included "CC" in its naming. Also "CC" can be taken as the general term for the subscription plan or environment, within which these and other Adobe applications operate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines