• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to move folders in lightroom classic

New Here ,
Dec 21, 2018 Dec 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Occasionally I import files into the wrong drive ie. C instead of my latest storage drive N. I used to be able to just drag and drop the folder from C to N within the LR library. It no longer lets me do this. Could this be a LR update fault or a Win 10 update fault. The problem has only just surfaced after updates to both LR and Win10.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That should still work just fine. Not sure what could cause it to not work normally.

You can always move the folder outside of Lightroom and then within Lightroom point Lightroom to the new location (the folder will get a missing icon on it that you can click or you can right click on the folder in Lightroom in its old location and select "update folder location"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 22, 2018 Dec 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same thing is happening on my laptop installation. The point is this used to be no problem so something has changed. I've been through all the security settings on the drive folders and made sure they are all set to allow full access etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jao has you pointed in the right direction.

Moving files and folders in the Library module is still a simple drag and drop.

However, when moving folders or large number of files, it is better to do that outside of Lightroom as LR can sometimes drop the ball resulting in bad things.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jao, it has never been a problem before, even with folders containing a large number of files. It's got me complete flummoxed. If I can't get this sorted there is no point in having Lightroom, may as well go with Luminar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To move a file, or folder, from one drive to another means that on the drive where the file/folder is originally located first it has to be Copied to the destination drive then Deleted from the original. If the permissions have changed on the original drive, which can happen with a Windows update (Especially on the C drive and Especially on the Users folder), that drive is Locked from having files of folders deleted.

If the Move command sees the file/folder can't be deleted it never attempts the copy phase.

I suggest you check the permissions of the Users folder and specifically your UserName folder.

Also create a import preset that sets at least the drive letter where you want new imported images to go to. And or be more diligent when importing images and manually set the Destination to the correct drive and folder you want the images to be copied to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It works fine on my machine in latest version so something is not right in

your machine. I’d suspect some permissions issue like the others suggest

but hard to diagnose from here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Manicjoe. I see your point however, it has never been an issue before. It is not a large number of files I'm trying to move, only 70 images in each of two folders. Having to move folders outwith Lightroom defeats the purpose in having Lightroom. I'll give it until next year and if by then I haven't got to the bottom of it I'm switching to Luminar 3 which has no hefty subscription and does the same job as LR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried resetting the Lightroom preference file as described in Method 1 in How to set Lightroom Classic CC preferences

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Obvious question, Is drive N external? Is it connected?

2. is their an error message?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very valid specially if they are connected via a network.  e.g. There could be problems if you are moving folders from a drive which has limited free space to an external drive, your operating system has to copy the files and move the data to the new location, then remove the folders from the internal location. Moving folders within a specific HDD does not require a physical move of the data just an adjustment in where the files are located on the disk.

So moving folders and files from one location on a HDD is just info on where the files are located, moving folders and files to another physical device is completely different.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is moving files and folders between drives. They are not networked, all are internal HDDs or SDD. This used to be no problem and a very simple way of re-organising.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everything is internal. I run my OS on C drive, an SSD. I also have three other internal 2TB HDD one of which is partitioned into two. The point is that this used to be no problem to grab a folder from say E drive and move it, with its contents, to F drive, all within lightroom. The same scenario is playing out on my laptop installation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fixed! Still don't why it all went pear shaped. Check all my permissions as suggested but they were fine. I store my images on 4 HDDs, internally. Each one has a master folder entitled My pictures1, 2, 3, etc. On the N drive the folder, which would have been My Pictures 4, was not displayed in the LR library. So, I went to the first dated folder in the LR library which is actually in the My Pictures 4 folder and removed one image, not delete from disc, just remove. Then I selected import, went to the My Pictures 4 library and selected that folder (it contains all the images in LR library under N:/My Pictures 4) As you'd expect all the images were greyed out as they are already imported, except thats is for the one I'd just removed. So clicked Import. That one file was imported into its original LR Library folder, or more correctly the link to that image. Now I can move folders back and forth between ALL drives 'til the cows come home. The question now remains, Why? Why would things change? and... why would my laptop behave the same. It is not synched or linked in any way to my PC and I only use LR on it occasionally for a quick edit or check  on something outwith my normal photo work. anyway, happy bunny again but thanks for your input folks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wonder if McAfee had anything to do with it Hmmmmm?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the Antivirus is being too aggressive around your catalog, I would think additional issues would exists, not with just one drive. However, that being said in the following link, way at the bottom, about three paragraphs from the bottom, antivirus mentioned:

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/hurry-up-lightroom-the-best-speed-tips/

More likely something odd occurred in the catalogs link/sync to the N drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 22, 2020 Jul 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I was regularly having the same problem and couldn't work it out. Today I went back to these files and looked at them in Finder. They were all locked files. I hadn't done this on the computer but I think it's possible that it may be remembering my lock info from the camera. When I got up the file info and unticked lock on each folder I was able to move them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines