• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unbelievably slow image capture in Lightroom Classic.

Explorer ,
May 28, 2021 May 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had to upgrade from Lightroom 6.3 to Classic for my new 2021 iMac 5k. An image capture from my Lumix was incredibley slow. 2-4 times as slow as Lightroom 6.3. Last night's capture of 545 images from Lumix S1R (about 47megapixel images) took 3 hours and 13 minutes! I had added 16gigs of main memory (now 32 gigs) to hopefully fix the slow load. UGH!!!! The Activity monitor showed Lightroom using abou 6% of the processor (6 cores). Absolutly impossible to do anything while it loads a photo from the camera so slowly. HELP!!!! It seems this is what we get. In lightroom 6.3, I had to convert from Lumix raw to DNG using their conversion app (they hobbled 6.3 to prevent it taking the Lumix images directly). That free app is fast! Then lightroom took in those DNG and a very fast rate. I tried that in Classic but the load crashed. But now its HELL!!!!!!! Face recognition is off. It's just deplorable performance. HELLO ADOBE!!! Help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just another note. Adobe wants extra room on the disk where images are loaded. It had 697gigs of free space. None of it was being used as Lightroom made temporary folders at a slugs pace.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The first thing I think of is that when you switched to a new computer, the card reader in the new computer is the problem. It is defective.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not the problem, the Lumix camera in plugged into USB and Lightroom takes the files directly off of the camera. When I run the adobe DNG converter app, it still fetches the files from the Lumix and converts them fast. When Lightroom does the same conversion to DNG it is slug slow. When I tried to have Lightroom just import the DNG files that were converted by adobes DNG app, it just spun the cursor and had to be shut down. (Tried multiple times). When I gave Lightroom just a small group of DNG files at a time, it would read them.  Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 01, 2021 Jun 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

PROBLEM SOLVED - An Adobe tech via chat, had me move my LR Catalog to my main, iMac internal drive and leave all my zillion images on the external drive. How? Easy, drag a copy over. Double click it. LR opens up very happy. It made new preview file and data file. Very fast and happy now. YES!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines