• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unstacking in Custom Order disperses photos

Community Beginner ,
Sep 26, 2020 Sep 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I am sorting my photos using "Custom Order" and unstack a series, the photos in the stack get inserted all over the place instead of staying in consecutive order. I then have to select them, grab and relocate them where I want them. Surely the unstacjed photos should stay together? The only way to achieve this is to change the sorting criterion to "Capture Time", but then all my previous re-sorting in the folder I am working with gets undone. What can I do? Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 27, 2020 Sep 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because it does.

I tested this with 2 images that had no business being stacked. 2 completely different images but in the same folder (as you can't stack images that are in different folders on your drive) and not in order. 

When stacked they appeared next to each other and then when I Unstacked them they went back to there original location sorted by Capture Time.

I suggest you stop stacking images that are completely different and start using Collections to place images you want to show together and in a custtom order. And again stop Stacking them unless they are the same image with Copies and or Edited in PS or some other external editor.

The Stacking option was never meant to group together disimilar images. It was to place into a group the same image of different file types, RAW > JPG > PSD > Tiff. All in one Stack of the same image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 02, 2020 Oct 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's not how Adobe describes the purpose of Stacks:

https://helpx.adobe.com/au/lightroom-classic/help/grouping-photos-stacks.html

Anyway, I found out a kind-of solution. Once a stack is created, the way to handle it is to "Expand" rather than "Unstack" the photos, and that will keep them all together in their location. I can then, for example, extract one of the photos of the stack for individual processing. Bizarrely, while the remaining photos of the stack stay together, they change location in the grid. There is definitely a glitch in the way stacks are handled, but at least now I do not have to go hunting for the photos eveerytime I "open up" a stack!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 02, 2020 Oct 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Quote: From the page you linked

You can create stacks to group a set of visually similar photos together, making them easy to manage. Stacks are useful for keeping multiple photos of the same subject or a photo and its virtual copies in one place, and they reduce clutter in the Grid view and the Filmstrip.

End Quote:

In my Honest opinion whoever wrote that article is basically an Idiot.

Sure I guess you can use the Stacking feature in the way that page suggests but I certainly wouldn't.

In fact I don't care for stacking except for the Same Image and Copies of them, JPG/TIF.

Glad you got it sorted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines