• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unwanted automatic creation of 1:1 previews during export

Community Beginner ,
May 15, 2021 May 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When exporting from dng to jpg, adding the exported files to the catalogue and stacking with the original, Lightroom automatically creates a 1:1 preview for the new jpgs. I do NOT want this preview created, not least because it slows down the process considerably, but I can't find any way of turning the automatism off. Can anyone suggest a solution? Thanks in advance, Sarah.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not know of an automatic way!

You could either set Catalog Preferences to Discard 1:1 Previews after 1-day, but this might slow down other editing.

Or after the Export- Select all the files in the folder and MENU: Library >Previews >Discard 1:1 Previews.

You might remove the option [Add to this Catalog] from the Export dialog, then you can- Synchronize the Folder and show the Import screen to set Previews to Minimal or Standard.

But none of these prevent the 1:1 previews from being created (your problem!) as you Export.

So no constructive answer from me, sorry!

Let's see if anyone else has a thought.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you both for your replies...

WobertC: "You might remove the option [Add to this Catalog] from the Export dialog, then you can- Synchronize the Folder and show the Import screen to set Previews to Minimal or Standard." 

Yes, in fact that is what I've resorted to doing, but then I also have to restack, which is a bit of a hassle.

F. McLion: "You can set the preview size for the import, or turn it off. This affects all imports, first ones and during export."

I do actually have the preview size set to "minimal" for first imports, but this seems to have no effect on automatic imports after exporting.

"May I ask why you are importing the developed/exported jpg back into the catalog, as I don't see the need for this?"

Well yes, you may well ask and the fact that I'm struggling to explain probably means I should rethink my work flow 🙂 . I keep jpg versions of all my raw files a) because that way I also have a copy that shows the image with Lightroom modifications (particularly cropping) viewable outside Lightroom and/or that shows possible Photoshop modifications, and b) because my archive is used as reference on various devices by various people, not all of which (both devices and people!) can handle raw files. I include it in the catalogue to keep things neat I suppose, so that all my images are kept together and can be managed in one place. Does that sound convincing 🙂 ?? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can set the preview size for the import, or turn it off. This affects all imports, first ones and during export.

However, there is no setting I know of that allows to set that separately.

May I ask why you are importing the developed/exported jpg back into the catalog, as I don't see the need for this?

--- Got your issue resolved? Please label the response as 'Correct Answer' to help your fellow community members find a solution to similar problems. ---

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What makes you conclude that these are 1:1 previews? They are probably standard-sized previews. Lightroom needs to generate a preview for all images that get imported, regardless what file type those images have. That may sound odd (Lightroom creating a jpeg preview when you import a jpeg image...), but it does make sense. Lightroom is a non-destructive editor. The originals are never changed, the edits are saved as a kind of 'to do list' in the catalog, and so the previews are needed to show you the edits.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JohanElzenga: "What makes you conclude that these are 1:1 previews?"

The progress bar of Lightroom indicates" "Building 1:1 previews" and that's also how they behave.

I'm quite happy with Lightroom creating the minimal previews I have set for new content imports. It's only the 1:1 previews it creates automatically when importing the jpgs exported from the raw files into the catalogue that I would like to stop.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not re-importing these exported versions in the first place, will instantly stop the creation of previews - of any size. What is your practical requirement for seeing these exports within the Catalog?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I do see the logic of not including the exported jpgs in the catalogue and perhaps I will rethink this aspect of my work flow, but to my perhaps obsessively tidy mind, it is much easier to manage my entire photo archive if I have ALL my image files in one place, in other words, in Lightroom.

It isn't really that big a deal I suppose... I just don't like being defeated :-). If I can import "new" images with only a minimal preview being made, why won't Lightroom do the same when importing exported ones!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It may make sense (to some) to save a jpg with all developments included to a save place, IMHO not where the main images are stored.

However, I do not see the need why I ever would import these in Lightroom.

--- Got your issue resolved? Please label the response as 'Correct Answer' to help your fellow community members find a solution to similar problems. ---

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On my Windows 10 system using LrC 10.2 1:1 Previews are not being built when exporting DNG files with the below settings. Try resetting your LrC Prferences file as outlined at the below link. Make sure to place a copy of the curent Preferences file on your desktop so you can easily restore it if of no help.

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/how-do-i-reset-lightrooms-preferences/

Export.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines