• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Update win 10 to install LR Classic 9.whatever????

New Here ,
May 22, 2020 May 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just got the sony 20mm 1.8.  There was no profile so I went to update... apparently, we have to update windows 10 to get the 9.x needed for the lens profile to install?  This is terrible.  I don't want to update my system.  Is there no way around this other than me abandoning Adobe products?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 10 updates come quite regularly. It's not that big of a deal. Are you not allowing them to be applied? If not, why?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I'm not allowing them.  Why fix something that's not broken??  Also, the updates contain mitigation to pre-emptive multitasking exploits that are completely unnecessary and significantly slow your system.  I'm a systems engineer by trade, and, although I update my clients' systems automatically, I've NEVER updated one of my own in all these decades.  Cheers-

P.S. what is it about the LR update that requires the Win update??  That's a question, don't you think?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You've adopted your approach as an IT pro. That's fine.

But so many systems get compromised by unpatched Windows installs. Most updates include important or critical security patches.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whatever. Guess it's time for you to look for something to replace Lightroom. Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whatever?  That's nice.  You might try harder, next time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let me get this correct, perhaps I misread.

You have Windows 10.

You are not allowing Windows 10 OS updates.

Correct?

You are just begging for a cyber attack. 

MS does not just publish those updates to add some new trinket in the OS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or are you saying you are running Windows 7 and you do not want to upgrade to Windows 10?

That OS is going the way of the DoDo bird.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The OS update for Windows 10, to a specific version/build is for some features in Lightroom Classic to work, not for the program in general. Enhanced Details come to mind.

Ohh, that was due to a new capability in Windows 10 build 1809, opps, and a similar issue in MAC. Darn, one should update their OS on occasion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A cyber-attack?  I've never met one personally... of course, I know how to protect myself at the source and not let them in to begin with... That said, yes, due to blah blah, etc, one is forced to "update" sometimes.  It also breaks something as much as is patchs anything, which I most likely never need patched in the first place.

"The OS update for Windows 10, to a specific version/build is for some features in Lightroom Classic to work, not for the program in general. Enhanced Details come to mind.

Ohh, that was due to a new capability in Windows 10 build 1809, opps, and a similar issue in MAC." 

--Sounds dubious.  Could you be more specific?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Find some info here-

https://blogs.adobe.com/crawlspace/2018/08/upcoming-changes-to-photoshop-and-lightroom-os-support-fo...

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the info.  It would be interesting to know what they're doing.  I suspect that it has nothing to do with app enhancements... not for the user, anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But, I didn't come here to argue - I take it that there's no way around my dilemma - check.  Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're right - it's for the machine learning package in that update for the "enhanced details" as you say.  I wish I could just get that damn lens profile without all that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And, a by the way

Sony 20mm f/1.8. What exact lens?

And listed in following link?

https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/kb/supported-lenses.html

ahh, probably this one

Sony FE 20mm F1.8 GSony FE

9.2.1/12.2.1

so, yes, LRC 9..2.1 that contains Camera RAW 12.2.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 23, 2020 May 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Anyone can come to a forum and claim to be whoever or whatever they want to be. Perhaps the OP really is a systems engineer and really does know everything. If that is the case then maybe he should enlighten Adobe and set them straight. On the other hand, he could just be someone who wants to make some noise and is an operating system purist who doesn't believe in updating the OS, or is a conspiracy theorist. It doesn't matter. We don't know who the OP is. If he wants to include that lens profile then he knows what he has to do. It's his choice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines