Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

updating development preset to xmp plz help

Community Beginner ,
Jun 14, 2021 Jun 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is driving me mad.... 😞 

Everytime I launch LR it 'updating development presets to XMP'!!! it used to take a while but since updating to 10.3 it takes 20 minutes which is not even funny when im paying a monthly subscription.

Please, please please can someone help me sort this out.

Many thanks in advance 🙂

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jun 14, 2021 Jun 14, 2021

It sounds like there's a permissions problem with the folder containing the old versions of your LR presets (files ending with .lrtemplate). If LR finds any old-style .lrtemplate presets in that folder, it tries to convert them to the new .xmp format and store them in the "new" preset folder, and then it renames the .lrtemplate file so that it won't try to convert it again. But if the rename fails due to a permissions problem, LR will try to convert it again the next time you start LR.

To fix th

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Jun 14, 2021 Jun 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like there's a permissions problem with the folder containing the old versions of your LR presets (files ending with .lrtemplate). If LR finds any old-style .lrtemplate presets in that folder, it tries to convert them to the new .xmp format and store them in the "new" preset folder, and then it renames the .lrtemplate file so that it won't try to convert it again. But if the rename fails due to a permissions problem, LR will try to convert it again the next time you start LR.

To fix this:

1. Do Preferences > Preferences > Show All Other Lightroom Presets.  That will open Mac Finder / Windows File Explorer on the "Lightroom" settings folder. 

2. Move the subfolder "Develop Presets" to your Desktop.

3. Restart LR. You shouldn't see the updating-presets message.

4. Save away the "Develop Presets" folder in your Documents folder or somewhere else, just in case you might need to recover those old .lrtemplate presets.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 15, 2021 Jun 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG it worked, thank you so much John Rellis for your help with this!!

Have a nice day 🙂

J.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 16, 2021 Jun 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad you resolved the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 02, 2021 Nov 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello guys,

And what if the window "updating develop presets to XMP" is open since few hours? Is this really taking so much time to update? I am not sure if this is normal, or it got stucked somehow. 

I would like to do all the steps that John described above but I cannot do anything until this window is there (everything is "frozen") 😞 

Thanks a lot in advance!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 03, 2021 Nov 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually I found a solution 😉 I updated my Mac yesterday without doing anything in Lightroom and the window regarding the presets appeared again after the restart, but was quickly gone, not like yesterday.

Now I followed the steps posted above and it is gone forever 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 03, 2021 Nov 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It may have been simply restarting LR that fixed the glitch, but glad you got it resolved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines