• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Updating Metadata

Explorer ,
Jun 28, 2020 Jun 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have a Smart Collection to tell me which images need to be be saved to disk for metadata changes = "Metadata status is not uo to date".   When I go to update, a large amount of files are not being updated as they always show as needing to be saved.  The command is being recognized because "Saving Metadata" progress bar appears and moves, but none of the files disappear from the Smart Collection.  When looking at the individual files in Finder  the raw files and the DNGs show a modified date as theough they are properly saved when the save metadata command was invoked.  None of the video files have an an updated Modified Date in Finder.   There are 2 raw files (ORF) , but the vast majority or either DNG or Video files.  All of the DNG files are from iPads and iPhones taken by the Lightroom camera.

Summary

1) Have Smart Collection to save changed metadata to files.

2) It appears the the video file sare not being updated (from Finder info)

3) It appears the DNG and Raw files have been updated (from Finder info)

4) The Smart Collection is not being updated for the DNG and Raw files that have been updated.

Thanks for looking

Dan

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR never finished implementing full support for video. One area that never got finished was full support for metadata -- it can't write changed metadata back to the videos or to .xmp sidecars. If you change the metadata for a video in LR, the Metadata Status field in the Metadata panel will always show Up To Date, while the Metadata Status column in the Library Filter bar will show Unknown or Conflict Detected (ditto for smart collections).

Bottom line: There's nothing you can do about writing video metadata, and the Filter bar and smart collections are broken when trying to search for video metadata status.  Modify your smart collection to ignore videos.

Please add your constructive opinion to this long-standing feature request:
https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/lr4_beta_video_tagging_not_complete

and be sure to click Vote and Follow in the upper-right corner. That will make it a little more likely that Adobe will consider implementing the feature and you'll be notified when they do. (Safari users, uncheck the option Safari > Preferences > Privacy > Prevent Cross-Site Tracking or use Chrome or Firefox.)

[Use the blue reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Re DNGs, LR is normally able to update their metadata just as with other non-video file types. I don't normally use DNGs but have some in my test catalog, and my LR handles them as expected.

Try selecting just one DNG whose Metadata Status is Has Changed and do the menu command Metadata > Save Metadata To Disk. Does its metadata status update correctly to Up To Date? (I've noticed in the past that LR sometimes misbehaves when you do Save Metadata To Disk and videos are selected.)

If so, then select more DNGs and do Metadata > Save Metadata To Disk.

If this doesn't help, as a next step, please copy here the first ten lines from the menu command Help > System Info.

[Use the blue reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your replies John.  Kinda figured what you said on videos.  As to DNG's tried your suggestion for one and it did not work.  As a matter of fact then I tried to select all and save metadata for of all the files and the number of files in the smart collection went down a couple but went right back up again.  Nothing happened to the number of files in the smart collection even though they were changed in the file system but LR still shows has "has been changed".  Also tried optimizing the catalog, closing LR and still had the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm, please copy here the first ten lines from the menu command Help > System Info to let us see precisely which version and OS you're running.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I posted the info below in another thread where a user was having problems with metadata and LrC reading and writing metadata to the file. Its just general info, basically when you are working in Lightroom Classic the application is reading and writing to the Catalog file the additional option to have metadata automatically written to the file is a secondary function and if Lightroom is busy with other tasks this will not be pritorised. There is no automatic function as far as I know to read from the file.

Just an observation and a hint.

Lightroom Classic default operating procedure is to read and write to the Lightroom Catalog File.

Lightroom has an option to also write metadata and edits to xmp which allows ACR to read info from the file this can be done automatically or manually, Lightroom only reads metadata from the file at initial import. It has an option to do so, this has to be applied manually. There will be a warning when this manual option is chosen to the effect that info in the file will override the info in the catalog.

Adobe Camera Raw plugin for Photoshop reads and writes to the file, as far as ACR is concerned the info is in the file, either in an xmp sidecar for raw files or in the file header for other supported formats. ACR cannot read from the Lightroom Catalog file.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 29, 2020 Jun 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is th einfo you requested:

Lightroom Classic version: 9.3 [ 202005281810-476e492c ]
License: Creative Cloud
Language setting: en-US
Operating system: Mac OS 10
Version: 10.14.6 [18G5033]
Application architecture: x64
Logical processor count: 8
Processor speed: 4.2 GHz
SqLite Version: 3.30.1
Built-in memory: 65,536.0 MB
Real memory available to Lightroom: 65,536.0 MB
Real memory used by Lightroom: 5,963.5 MB (9.0%)
Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 14,253.9 MB
Memory cache size: 1,240.0MB
Internal Camera Raw version: 12.3 [ 493 ]
Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 5
Camera Raw SIMD optimization: SSE2,AVX,AVX2
Camera Raw virtual memory: 521MB / 32767MB (1%)
Camera Raw real memory: 522MB / 65536MB (0%)
Displays: 1) 5120x2880, 2) 1440x2560, 3) 1200x1920

Graphics Processor Info:
Metal: AMD Radeon Pro 580

I had been using the Preference to write to XMPO, but I started looking at some DNG files and turned off for awhile and went back to using my Smnart Collection.

Again thanks for your patience and help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Two more things to try:

- Make a backup of your catalog. Then select a few of the DNGs and do Metadata > Save Metadata To File followed by Metadata < Read Metadata From File.  Sometimes that clears up inconsistencies in LR's catalog.

- Try making a new test catalog and importing a few DNGs into it. If the problem doesn't occur, that suggests you current catalog is "poisoned" (not totally corrupted, just in some inconsistent state).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This whole thing started with using face recognition for the firat time on 30k library.  Went though about half and all of a sudden it showed that where though I I had 2k left to go I now had 15k.  Came to the conclusion I had a bad lrcat and restored an old one and started redoiung the face recognition.  Just saved 2k to metadata including 200 DNGs.  All updated properly.

Something screwy happened with the face recognition that trashed the lrcat.  Wil;l now backup every coupld of k images just in case.

Thanks for all of your help

Dan

PS - if you know a reason why face recognition would trash lrcat polease let me know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are now raising a completely new issue is face recognition this is a very intense operation and includes syncing with your other apps. When you activate this feature for the first time especially if your catalog contains thousands of images.

I would recommend that when you activate it, monitor it closely and do not activate any other tasks with Lightroom until it has completed successfully. Turn off or pause face recognition, just my opinion.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I now agree totally with your assessment.  Was probably doing too much when running the recognition 

thanks

Dan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Face recognition is very CPU-intensive, but it shouldn't leave your catalog in an inconsistent state. (I only turn on recognition at specific times on specific folders.)

But it sounds like your DNG files are operating normally again.

I've enabled the option Catalog Settings > Metadata > Automatically Write Changes Into XMP, and it's always worked smoothly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines