• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

upgrade LR catalog to suit the new LP version

New Here ,
Nov 12, 2019 Nov 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, everyone: I got into trouble while upgrading to the newest LR. It first said I need to upgrade my catalog, then said it encountered a problem and can not use my catalog. Everyone else has this problem and any solutions?

Thanks

Ruby

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 12, 2019 Nov 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mac or Windows? Which version?

What is the full path to the old LrCat file?

What is the exact wording of the error message you are getting?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 13, 2019 Nov 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much for helping.
Mac
path my harddrive, picture, lightroom then the catalog
It first open a window asking me if I want to create new or upgrade old catalog, then says encountered a problem can not use this catalog
Ruby

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everyone else has this problem? Well I'm sure its frustrating for you Ruby but I can assure you it is not that widespread . . .

If you navigate in your OS to the folder where you have stored your Lightroom Catalog, and look for a file ending in LRCAT.LOCK (my capitalisation) and delete that file if it exists.

Then try to re-open the Catalog as previous.

Can you post a screen shot if this is reoccurring?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for helping. I don't seem to have .lock.

I'm trying to figure out how to keep both the old and new LR on my computer. Then I can experiement. Now if I hit the upgrade buttom, the old version turns to a question mark and can not open anymore. I had to uninstall the new and reinstall the old. I'm afraid of toughing anything now.

Ruby

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not everyone else is seeing it, but it has been reported by more people. Adobe is aware of this problem and is trying to find out what is happening in these cases and solve it. For now, you may want to revert back to Lightroom Classic 8.4 and your old catalog.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much.

Is there anyway that I can keep both old and new version of LR? Then I can experiment more without the worry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

In my opinion, there isn't much point in keeping both versions. Once you resolve the problem of updating the catalog I think you'll find transitioning to the upgrade seamless. Yes, there are a few new features. But basically the operation is the same. And after the catalog upgrades you'll have all your images and all the work you did previously in the upgraded catalog. The catalogs are not backward compatible. Any work you do in the new catalog won't be accessible in the older version and vice versa.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines