• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Use NEF(raw) or JPEG in LightRoom

Community Beginner ,
Dec 18, 2017 Dec 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm new to Lightroom, still studying, but I'm stuck on one simple question: should I import NEF RAW or JPEG files?

I'm NOT talking about a camera taking RAW+JPEG; this has absolutely nothing to do with my question.

Unfortunately, every search I've conducted only finds discussions about RAW+JPEG camera settings.

Here's how I'm working now...which may not be the best or most appropriate way.

I shoot RAW only on my Nikon D3100.

I use Photoshop to review all my NEF files, make adjustments, then export JPEGS of the adjusted files.

I put the JPEG files in a folder called JPEG

I then use Photoshop to refine the JPEG files.

When I use LightRoom, should I make LightRoom aware of the NEF files (which I can put in their own folder) or the JPEG files?

I think it's one or the other and not both. My question is which is best for the way most photographers use LightRoom: RAW NEF or JPEG?

Thank you for your help 😉

Dave

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Dec 18, 2017 Dec 18, 2017

The whole point of RAW is that you get the most information from the camera to work with. If you convert RAWs to JPGs, you lose information in the image. So you really ought to be working with your RAWs in Lightroom. The only time you would create JPGs from the RAW is when you are finished editing and want to distribute the photo somehow.

There's no need to do the work to separate JPGs and RAWs into separate folders.

There's also no need to use Photoshop first and have it save JPGs.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The whole point of RAW is that you get the most information from the camera to work with. If you convert RAWs to JPGs, you lose information in the image. So you really ought to be working with your RAWs in Lightroom. The only time you would create JPGs from the RAW is when you are finished editing and want to distribute the photo somehow.

There's no need to do the work to separate JPGs and RAWs into separate folders.

There's also no need to use Photoshop first and have it save JPGs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As dj_paige already pointed out, quick and simple: Use NEF and import directly into Lightroom.

Leave PS out of the game, or if needed for something that cannot be done in LR, jump to PS from within Lightroom as needed.

--- Got your issue resolved? Please label the response as 'Correct Answer' to help your fellow community members find a solution to similar problems. ---

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Great help guys. Thank you.

You've got me pointed in a new direction before I went down that other path too far.

Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines