• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Using an external drive with Lightroom CC

New Here ,
Oct 01, 2018 Oct 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, this is my first venture into the forums. Lightroom and Photoshop seem to be maxing  out our hard drives, between the original raw images and everything that the programs generate. I know that the programs themselves have to live on a computer, but can everything else (originals, copies, catalogs, thumbnails, etc.) live on an external so the  computer hard drive won’t fill up?

Let’s say I’m setting up Lightroom cc for the first time. What options do I need to tick off?

(Please be as concise as possible. I don’t think I need to read ’War and Peace’ or a NYT article to make this happen. Also, If linking to tutorial videos, please make sure the videos are under 5-min, and don’t begin with the host saying “Hey Guys...”)

Does anyone have any recommendations for a USB-C, Thunderbolt 3 SSD?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Oct 01, 2018 Oct 01, 2018

Depends on If you are really talking about Lightroom CC (the cloud-based Lightroom) or if you are talking about Lightroom Classic CC. Lightroom Classic CC stores all of your images locally on local hard drives. And those local hard drives can be internal hard drives or external hard drives. If you are talking about the cloud-based Lightroom then all of your master images are stored in the cloud automatically, and you can configure it to store copies on external hard drives. There is no performan

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Depends on If you are really talking about Lightroom CC (the cloud-based Lightroom) or if you are talking about Lightroom Classic CC. Lightroom Classic CC stores all of your images locally on local hard drives. And those local hard drives can be internal hard drives or external hard drives. If you are talking about the cloud-based Lightroom then all of your master images are stored in the cloud automatically, and you can configure it to store copies on external hard drives. There is no performance hit by storing your images on external hard drives if you are using Lightroom Classic CC. And you will find that there isn't really any benefit to storing your images on SSD drives. A rather evasive answer, I know. But it would be nice if you would clarify what version of Lightroom you are referring to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 02, 2020 Jul 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I don’t think I need to read ’War and Peace’ or a NYT article to make this happen."  I love this +1.

"If you are talking about the cloud-based Lightroom then all of your master images are stored in the cloud automatically, and you can configure it to store copies on external hard drives."  Not sure why you are confused Jim?  It's very clear.  I have a very similar problem.  As a qualifier I have made my living as a professional photorapher-editor for 30 years. 

My suspision is that Adobe has done this so they can sell "cloud" space.  Plain & simple.  It makes no sense at all whatsoever to take clear, consise usability out of the hands of the user & confuse the issue with "Lightroom" writing images to multiple locations, which are confusing to decipher at best.  Having an application write raw files to "the cloud" is bizarre.  Imagine importing 4000 raw files and working on them "from the cloud".  Got a spare week or 2 to do this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Never did say I was confused. All I was asking for was clarification as to which version of Lightroom the OP is referring to. Adobe confused the public with their naming convention, and it's sometimes difficult to know which version is being referred to.

As far as raw files in the cloud is concerned, if users are shooting with an iPhone for example, and use the Lightroom app for the phone, then as soon as the images taken it CAN be in the cloud. I'm not arguing with you. If you don't want to use the cloud then don't. Some people like it, some people don't. I prefer LrC. I use Lightroom to take pictures with my iPhone so that when I get home they are immediately available in LrC. That's it! That's the only reason I really use Lightroom (for the cloud). Different strokes for different folks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are presently two Lightroom applications that can run on your computer.

Screenshot 2020-06-24 at 10.20.34 AM copy.pngScreenshot 2020-06-24 at 10.20.10 AM copy.png

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 02, 2022 Nov 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Rude. How is that for concise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines