• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Using Collections in Lightroom Classic 9.4

Explorer ,
Sep 18, 2020 Sep 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am pretty new to LrC and I wish to organise my photos by using collections.  I thought I had worked it out but today all my collections were empty.

I did some experimenting and it seems that I have to have the photos imported into LrC and then place them into collections that I have created.  That works well, but I have a few thousand photos that I wish to place in collections so importing all these photos is going to take some time and the catalogue is going to become unmanageable with thousands of photos. 

My problem is, if I delete the photos from the catalogue then the photos are also deleted from the collections as well. 

Is there any way of keeping the photos in the collections without having the photos in the catalog?

The reason I am asking this is because when I import new photos  all the previously imported photos and shown as well and it is a slow process to locate the newly imported photos amongst the old photos.

I know I can select the option to show only the previous import in the catalogue but I really would like to keep the catalogue as small as possible.

If someone can shed some light on the use of collections it would be appreciated.

Thanks,

John

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Expert , Sep 18, 2020 Sep 18, 2020

I think you misunderstand what collections are and how to use them. Collections are like playlists in a music player, so a single photo can be in as many collections as you want. That is the power of collections and that is what makes them different (and so much more useful as means of organising images) than folders. Folders are physical storage places. Your images must be in some folder, but they can only be in one folder at the same time. Because an image can be in many collections, that vaca

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND , Sep 18, 2020 Sep 18, 2020

"I did some experimenting and it seems that I have to have the photos imported into LrC and then place them into collections that I have created. That works well, but I have a few thousand photos that I wish to place in collections so importing all these photos is going to take some time and the catalogue is going to become unmanageable with thousands of photos."

People have tens of thousands and hundreds of thousands of photos in Lightroom Classic. The point is that Lightroom Classic provides

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Sep 18, 2020 Sep 18, 2020

Have a read of the article available at the link below. It will help in understanding the Lightroom Catalog which is the core of Lightroom file management.

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/what-is-a-lightroom-catalog/

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you misunderstand what collections are and how to use them. Collections are like playlists in a music player, so a single photo can be in as many collections as you want. That is the power of collections and that is what makes them different (and so much more useful as means of organising images) than folders. Folders are physical storage places. Your images must be in some folder, but they can only be in one folder at the same time. Because an image can be in many collections, that vacation image of your daughter can be in a collection with your daughters name, and in a collection of that particular vacation, and in any other collection you want. You will still only have one image in Lightroom however.

You can add photos to one collection on import, but you can add them to other collections by dragging and dropping them. Do not try to import them again in order to add them to another collection.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks JohanElzenga. Well I am beginning to understand how the catologue and collections work. 

It is not the way I am used to working, so I will not be using collections.

Tahnks,

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I did some experimenting and it seems that I have to have the photos imported into LrC and then place them into collections that I have created. That works well, but I have a few thousand photos that I wish to place in collections so importing all these photos is going to take some time and the catalogue is going to become unmanageable with thousands of photos."

People have tens of thousands and hundreds of thousands of photos in Lightroom Classic. The point is that Lightroom Classic provides many many tools (not just collections) to help you organize and find the desired photos, when you need them. These tools are keywords, captions, titles, other metadata, collections, etc. For these tools to be effective, you have to actually use these tools, and apply keywords, captions, titles, other metadata, collections, etc. to your photos — otherwise there is NO software that will help you make so many photos manageable.

"My problem is, if I delete the photos from the catalogue then the photos are also deleted from the collections as well."

This is the proper behavior for Lightroom Classic. Once you import, you apply the above tools to help you organize and search, and then you don't have to remove photos (and also, you should not remove photos once imported).

"Is there any way of keeping the photos in the collections without having the photos in the catalog?"

No. The catalog is necessary for organization purposes, it keeps tracks of your photos and your organization and your edits. If you remove the photos, then it can't keep track of them and your organization and edits are lost.

"I know I can select the option to show only the previous import in the catalogue but I really would like to keep the catalogue as small as possible."

This should not be a goal. Lightroom Classic has no problem with large catalogs, as stated above, it's a tool for you to organize your photos, and so no point keeping it small. I advise people that eventually you want 100% of the photos that you want to keep (that's 100%, all, every single one, no exceptions) needs to be in Lightroom Classic's catalog and organized, that's how you are going to find the photos in the future. (I realize that on day one, you will not have 100% of your photos impoted into Lightroom Classic, but that ought to be the goal)

"If someone can shed some light on the use of collections it would be appreciated."

In my opinion (which some people agree with and others do not), you do not even want to start with collections. You want to organize by keywords, captions, titles and other metadata. Collections are used for special purposes, like a slideshow, or a photo book, or other photos you want to keep together for some reason. But ... we see this all the time ... if your goal is to have small catalog and a few collections, then this really isn't the reason you would use Lightroom Classic, and possibly some other software would be better for you. If your goal is to organize 100% of your photos that you want to keep, then that is a better use and a more fitting use for Lightroom Classic. (And use keywords, not collections).

But it all begins with understanding what Lightroom Classic can do for you, and then moving in that direction. If you don't understand, or you want to move in a different direction, you would be better off using some other software. We see all the time the frustration (and sometimes anger) of people who want to use Lightroom Classic to do things that LightrooM Classic wasn't intended to do. We also see the opposite, people use Lightroom Classic for things that it was intended to do, and usually these are happy LightrooM Classic users (although not always).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a feeling that the photos had to stay in the catalogue to remain in collections. I could live with a large but having having a catalogue of 1000 photos showing every time I want to import one or more photos is a big annoyance for me. It would be nice if only the newly imported photos were shown rather than every photo in the catologue.

I know I could apply keywords, captions etc., but that would be a big task to import all the photos, apply keywords and organise them into collections.

I have tried other software in the past but the organising of the photos seems to be different in each program with its own quirks. I guess I will just place my photos in seperate folders on my harddisk and leave it at that. 

I will stick with using lightroom, but the lack of information available makes it hard to know what can be done and the method to do it. I have googled a lot of things and purchased a few magazines but these never tell the full story as how to use some functions.

Thanks for you response and I will keep trying to learn Lightroom.

Regards, John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have a read of the article available at the link below. It will help in understanding the Lightroom Catalog which is the core of Lightroom file management.

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/what-is-a-lightroom-catalog/

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the response DdeGannes. 

I looked at the link you provided and it clears up most of my questions. It seems collections are not suited to the way I am used to working and will have to live without them.

Thanks,

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You might want to consider learning to use keywords. That is where the real power of image organization comes into play with Lightroom, in my opinion. And I wouldn't turn my back on collections either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines